New Cartridge Undersized?? + Polaris 65 Repairs & More

REQUEST FOR FORUM HELP:

Can Ted or anyone please help me with the gate valve or hose plug questions I have to know so I can change out the cart filter, please? My setup is all there in photos - and the potential gate valve that 'might' fit (my hoses are 1-1/2"). Ted mentioned a plug - I don't know what he's talking about and want to know more.

To Ted - Where would I find the 'plugs' that you write of?

Are those easier/better/cheaper than gate valves?

Thank you, everybody!

WOW - There is a huge selection of plugs on there! I never even knew of such a thing. That sure is a helpful link, thank you for that.

Great idea about waiting until winter to put the gate valves on. My biggest question about that is: Will that gate valve pictured work on my pool?? Threadwise, etc.?? I can't tell and have to order it online, so that would be shipping x 2 lost if I order the wrong thing. My sand filter motor came with one attached, so I didn't have to know anything (ha).

So - for filter changing - is the deal with the plugs to remove the hoses and then stick a plug in real fast? I wonder which models would withstand the rush of water trying to come out, as I would be fighting the water pressure in those hoses.

The gate valve you show would probably work. Most standard skimmers have 1-1/2"NPT threads. I believe that is what you listed. I can not say for sure because there in no real way I can tell from a photo. I personally do not like Gate valves (just a preference). I use http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcvalve.html part #PVCBTT15 or the equivalent. As long as the openining through the ball valve is not a restriction (too small a hole in ball) i like them better.

As far as the plugs....On the skimmer on side of pool, remove the lid, remove the basket, put plug into bottom of skimmer. Do not remove the hoses. On the return, put the plug inside the pool into the return. There should be an adjustable eyeball fitting that you can move around. Depending on the size of the plug and the size of the eyeball opening you can put it in the eyball. If not you can unscrew the eyeball and put the plug in its place. Do not take off any hoses to clean filter.

I have used a tennis ball in the bottom of the skimmer for a quick plug many times. You can usually look around and find something suitable to stop the flow of water long enough to do a good cleaning of the filter cart.

Hallelujah - I understood *everything* you said, thank you so much for that clear and detailed description.

I did not think of trying a tennis ball; I tried dog toy balls, but they wouldn't stay in place (slightly too big I guess). Rags leaked terribly.

I'll give that a try tomorrow (Saturday) with optimism.

Much appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.