LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
The pool store sold me a bag of Supr-Magick-Sparkle, for just a little extra insurance and to be on the safe side...

Just kidding, but there are common pool chems recommended at pool stores that cause problems and are not necessary. Here's three to avoid:

Copper algaecides and other copper containing or producing products
- cheap and nasty algaecides, often with 'blue' in the name
- they can cause staining of the pool surface and cause blonde hair to turn green

Ammonia containing algaecides
- there are only rare circumstances when algaecides with ammonia will work
- in terms of results, plain bleach or pool chlorinating liquid can do everything that these algaecides can do
- it take a lot of chlorine to get rid of the ammonia afterwards

Bromine
- this can include bromine tabs and granules, sodium bromide, and some products with 'yellow' in the name
- if you're able and willing to run a bromine pool or spa, then by all means, keep up your sanitizer
- but if you're using chlorinating liquid, bleach or a salt water chlorinator, the presence of bromide is a headache

Powdered shock
- include cyanuric acid or calcium
- these can be useful, but be aware of how CYA and calcium work in a pool
- chlorinating liquid or bleach are usually better alternatives, and they're cheap and easy to understand

The wrong approach can require draining and refilling a pool, and/or much higher cost than necessary.

We see a lot of threads here at TFP after pool stores have recommended these things without any mention of the risks. Labels usually don't mention the risks either.

Feel free to mention it here before adding it to your pool if you're wondering if it's right for your situation.

Last edited:
Taking that further, TFP teaches not to add ANYTHING to your pool you don't need or understand. A good TFP follower realizes that Chlorine is the solution to keeping a pool clean and going to the pool store is a dangerous and misleading waste of your time.

why would anyone sell or buy bromine for a chlorine pool? As a bromine pool owner, once you insert bromine into a chlorine pool you can't go back without a full water and filter change. Seems to be common knowledge as well, so I get the super magic sparkle comment but this one seems silly.

It happens! I recall a thread in the past month where someone got confused at the pool $tore and bought bromine. After all, we know that if there's a profit in a product with the word "pool" on it, a pool store will sell it!

For that matter, who's to say that Supr-Magick-Sparkle isn't bromine? (and you owe me $9.75 now too)

Well this is awkward Jet - I own the trademark on Supr-Magick-Sparkle.

You owe me $9.75. :p

Rats. Great move registering that trademark, coastr! Will Aussie dollars cut it? It might become my favorite new product name :)

With respect to bromine products targeted at chlorine pool owners, yesterday's threads at TFP included an algaecide which is sodium bromide. I had a similar one last year with a bromine product labelled as a mustard algae solution, so I think the warning is worthwhile. If it saves one pool owner from the headaches, it's worth my wee bit of typing :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I stopped by pool store the other day for some parts because I have a heat pump on the way ... I explained to the gentleman that I have a sand filter and an swg and will be installing a heat pump and was looking for parts... he seriously gave me the slow blink followed by a little bit of a smirk and said he had never heard of an swg... I was incredulous and I looked at him dead serious and I said you are in the pool business and you do not know what an swg is? So I did explain to him its purpose and he said that he knows what a chlorine generator is but has never heard of a saltwater generator... as I walked out the door I was listening to the guy on the other side of the store give this lady a long list of all of the things she needed for her pool including a $21 jug of pH Down... it was everything I could do not to just stop her on our way to the car and tell her that they just ripped her off to the tune of about $85 and she should return it all and come read this website

Another name for Copper is Blue Vitriol. Don't put anything in your pool that has "Blue/Blu" in the name unless you're looking for trouble!

Double check the ingredient listing and if it says "Trade Secret" you can easily check the Safety Data Sheet (previously known as the MSDS) on Google and get a run down on it.

Why risk your pool and pool water????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.