Need help removing pool stains

May 12, 2017
Brooklyn Park
Hi all,

It's my first post here. I've been following a lot of good advice here and managed to turn my pool from blackish to clear blue within a few weeks. However, after the water is clear, I notice there are a lot of stains on the wall and bottom of the pool (which weren't there before). Been trying to scrub but it doesn't work. I want to remove these stains before my family come over on July 4th. What should I do to effectively remove these stains in a short amount of time? I attached a few screenshots of the stains here as well. Thanks everyone!

Pool chemical:

FC - 5
PH - 7.8
TA - 150
CYA - ~40
CH - 350
Temp - 60

View attachment 64012View attachment 64013

Welcome to the forum. Bummer on the stains.

The attachments are not valid. Better to use a hosting site that you can copy/paste an IMG code into your post.

You need to determine if the stains are metal or not. Do you have some Vitamin C tablets? Crush some up, put in a rag or old sock, and hold it against the stain, if the stain disappears, it is metal. If not, it is organic and an elevated chlorine level over time should lighten them.

Take care.

Welcome to the forum. Bummer on the stains.

The attachments are not valid. Better to use a hosting site that you can copy/paste an IMG code into your post.

You need to determine if the stains are metal or not. Do you have some Vitamin C tablets? Crush some up, put in a rag or old sock, and hold it against the stain, if the stain disappears, it is metal. If not, it is organic and an elevated chlorine level over time should lighten them.

Take care.

Hi mknauss,

Thanks for your help I was able to identify the source of the stains - it is metal because Vitamin C wipe it right off. Now the question is how do I effectively remove all of them because they are everywhere in my 17,000 gal pool? Again, thank you for your help.

Best.

Here is a good article that covers a lot of stains and stain removal: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
Ascorbid treatment failed. I dumped about 5 lbs of AA to the pool but the not all the stains were removed. This make me thought that it wasn't the metal stains, but I tried the sock test with Vita C tablets again and it worked. what should I do next? should I continue with AA treatment?

The only part where i didn't follow direction 100% was my FC was at 3.5 ppm when I did the treatment, but with 5lbs of AA that should did the trick, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.