Getting ready for my 2 weeks of summer!

Hopefully tomorrow is the set up and fill day. I have a little ground work before I set up and start the fill process. Of course my 9 yr old son is chomping at the bit to go swimming, (me too!), what is the proper steps for chemicals etc. and the ability to swim?

thanks,

Mike

Mike, there's a few initial items you'll look for:
1 - Ensuring you have at least a CYA level of 30. Granular stabilizer will get you there fastest using the sock-soaking method. Use the Poolmath calculator for assistance.
2 - On day one of new water, add a little regular bleach to increase FC to about 2-3 ppm. After that, once the stabilizer from above is in the water, increase the FC between 4-6 and never let it drop below 2.
3 - Keep your pH in the mid 7s.

That should get you going. We can also advise you on your TA if needed. A low CH won't be a problem for your pool, only if it gets really high. Later you can post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to help.

Mike, there's a few initial items you'll look for:
1 - Ensuring you have at least a CYA level of 30. Granular stabilizer will get you there fastest using the sock-soaking method. Use the Poolmath calculator for assistance.
2 - On day one of new water, add a little regular bleach to increase FC to about 2-3 ppm. After that, once the stabilizer from above is in the water, increase the FC between 4-6 and never let it drop below 2.
3 - Keep your pH in the mid 7s.

That should get you going. We can also advise you on your TA if needed. A low CH won't be a problem for your pool, only if it gets really high. Later you can post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to help.

Thank you Pat, I plan to use my never opened 4 way test kit that I got from Doheny Pools last yr until my K-2006 kit arrives. I can pick up cya locally along with regular bleach to get me going, ( I think )...still reading and learning!

This site is loaded with info and I'm doing my best to digest it all and come up with a plan, all are welcome to steer me in the right direction.

Mike in Maine.

Thanks for the adult beverage Patrick_B!

I added chlorine to my pool last night based on pool Math and the amount of water I put in and tonight my test kit said my FC was 0. My stabilizer arrived today, 4 lb jug of Clorox Pool and Spa $12.77 through Amazon. I have what Pool Math said hanging over the side in a nylon stocking. (not mine lol)...anyway I dosed the required amount of chlorine as well and I look forward to the morning test. I do need to pick up muriatic acid, washing soda, baking soda, borax etc to have on hand. If I missed anything let me know, thanks all!

Mike

Well we had 1 1/2 days of 80* and sunny, our son had a blast swimming and playing...makes it all worth it! I don't have the right test kit yet but based on what I have and pool math my pool is safe. I tested 2 fc and added 11 oz of 8.25 bleach, pH was down to 6.8 and a I had borax on hand so I added 39 oz by volume. I will need to pick up some muriatic acid and washing soda. My TA test went bright yellow and stayed after 16 drops so I stopped adding. I'm not sure if I trust the test kit I do have as it is over a yr old or my own thinking lol, so I'm waiting for the K-2006 test kit to arrive before I do anything wrong. Please feel free to correct me.

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support