Some advice for New Guy

me6093

Jun 16, 2017
Elmsford NY
Good morning,

So i have had my 15ft round above ground pool since last year. This year when i opened it up everything seemed grate. Two hours later this brown dirt spots started to show up. I have went to two different pool places toe help me get rid of it. I have spent more money than i care to say. I was told i had mustard alge. I scrubbed, I vacuumed, i added chemical after chemical. I finally got fed up. I found this site. My T 2006 kit came yesterday. One issue i have had was very high stabilizer. This was verified by both places. I verified it to last night. I started adding the mixture and the black dot disappeared as i was looking down on it. Didn't even get to 100 mark. So last night i got rid of more than 50 percent of my pool water and added it back today.

So this morning i started the pump. I did a CYA today this morning and once again the dot disappeared almost immediately. Didn't get to 100. So either i need to wait and let everything mix, i did something wrong or I'm not sure what.

I also the the combined chlorine test. Took the sample deep this morning. Added the powder and turned pink right away. Added the next step (Sorry i don't know this stuff off the top of my head yet) 9 drops later the water turned clear. Next step started to add 5 drops per a video i saw on Tyler and it was supposed to turn pink again, which it didn't . So again, not sure if im doing something wrong or i was just low on chlorine?

I do have a frog system, and after reading the forums i took it our of the mix last night. I'm going to use the BBB program from now on.

Any help would be great.

Thank You

No doubt your starting CYA was well above 200. With an above ground pool you do not want to drain it fully. So you should do another drain/fill like you already did.

If you want to confirm more closely what your current CYA is, follow step 8 in this link Pool School - CYA.

Once you get your CYA to 50 or below you will want to do a SLAM.

Keep adding chlorine / bleach into this pool to keep a minimum of 5 FC in it at all times or you may get a full on algae bloom.

Take care.

I'd also recommend another partial drain and refill. Retest the CYA after circulating the new fill water for a half hour. If you are still over 100, you will need another partial drain and refill. You want to be sitting at around 50ppm at the highest if you're not running a SWG.

I would again suggest doing a CYA test following step 8 in the link I provided earlier. That would give you an idea how close you are.

You do need to let the water mix for several hours to get a good reading.

Take care.

Ok well here is something i just figured out. I do have the frog system. I have read a lot about the problems it causes. The other day i took the chlorine pack out. Mind you have dumped water below the skimmer 3 times and one time half of the pool The Half of the pool was after i took about the chlorine pack. Trying to figure out why my stabilizer wont go down, i realized i still had the anti bacterial pack inside the front chamber. That would be the only think i can think of that is causing the problem. So I'm going to take some water out again. And see what happens. My municipality is going to make a lot of money on me with all this water usage. thoughts? Sound good or just a crazy desperate pool owner LOL

Ok I ran the test in step 8 and it didn't even make to the 100

I assume that was the 1 part pool water/1 part tap water? If so - you are still well above 200ppm CYA.

I know you are going through alot of water. But partial drains do that. What type of pool surface do you have? If you could fill out your signature it would help us all out - Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

With more detail on what type of pool, volume, shape, etc we can suggest options on how to be more aggressive in the amount of water you change out at one time.

And yes. Remove both parts of that Frog system. They add stabilized chlorine AND copper. Both items you are removing now with your water exchanges.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should consult with any paper work on your pool but I believe you can drain an above ground to the point of leaving 12-16" of water in the bottom to keep the liner from shifting. You would need a sub pump to do this unless you have a drain port towards the bottom of the pool.

Since you have about 48" of water in your pool, draining until you have 16" left would be a 2/3 drain. That should get you close to 70 ppm CYA, which is manageable.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.