Opening is killing me this year.........

So........I went into Lowes today to look for a pump of some sort. Be it a large air pump, or a water pump, or a sump pump.........and came out with this guy.

Shop Utilitech 1-HP Thermoplastic Pool Pump at Lowes.com

It was on clearance for just over $100. Normal retail price was over $300. I figured, I'm already familiar with a pump like this - and it's going to be cheaper than a good sump pump. Why not?! We'll see what I conjure up with it. This is very much likely larger than the pump that runs my pool today. Maybe even have to do some work to run it off of 110 vs 220. But projects are fun! Bet I can get some serious aeration done with something like this. :D

On a side note, if my original pump ever goes out, I now have a fall back. IF a 1HP pump wouldn't be oversized. Not sure what an oversized pump would do to a pool but it can't be pretty.

Got the pump wired up for 110 this weekend. Rigged up some PVC quick so that I could just sit the pump on the deck and pull water from the pool, pumping it right back into a three way fitting. One side has a 10' section of PVC that rests on the other side of the railing, along with a short piece that comes out of the middle of the fitting. The right side is just capped off since I didn't know if I'd need it or not. This is all just static fit together, no glue used anywhere because I wanted it to be portable.

The pump more than did the job! Within hours the PH was back up to 7.8. I'll adjust today with some muriatic acid (after the rain stops!) and should be good to go. :)

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.matt-carey.com/BAWC/pool7.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.