Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keep adding bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Keep adding bleach?

Hello,

Just started the BBB process after still not being able to open my pool and spending hundreds of dollars at the pool store this year.

I've read through Pool School and have ordered and am now using the TF-100 test kit.

After first test, used the pool calculator and added as it suggested.

pH, TA look good this morning. FC is still very low even after adding 7 gallons of 6 percent bleach. Should I keep adding a similar amount of bleach as the calculator suggests? I was trying to shock the pool and get the FC to 10 and am surprised all that bleach had such a minor effect.

Here are the numbers:

Yesterday
    FC-0
    CC-.5
    TC-.5
    pH-6.8
    TA-80
    CYA-<20
    Temp-86

This morning
    FC-.5
    CC-1
    TC-1.5
    pH-7.3
    TA-90
    CH-60
    CYA-<20
    Temp-84

I know I need to add stabilizer (pool calc. says 132 oz.) Is that my problem?

Thanks so much for your time and advice!
    Greg
    33,000 gallon in-ground L-shaped, vinyl liner, Heyward sand filter, Polaris 280, TF-100
    Northeast Georgia

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Keep adding bleach?

Welcome to the forum!

I know I need to add stabilizer (pool calc. says 132 oz.) Is that my problem?
    That's part of your problem. Chlorine (bleach) is consumed by only two things......Sunlight and the organics (usually algae) in your pool. The stabilizer, if you get it up to around 40ppm, will help protect the chlorine from the Sun but I suspect your biggest loss is to the organics.

Get stabilizer in ther and, for the next few days, add the chlorine in the evening so the Sun doesn't kill so much of it.

What does your water look like?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, follow Dave's advice and get the CYA and more bleach, keep adding the bleach till your shock level holds overnight...

Use the "sock method" for adding the CYA jic you need to backwash.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, And welcome to TFP!

Shocking is a process, not a one time event! Follow Duraleigh's advice, and also, yes, you need to keep boosting your FC back up to shock levels (especially in the evening) according to the calculator until
    1) you can hold your FC overnight
    2) you have <0.5 ppm CC

You seem to have a grasp on the chemistry... just have a little POP (pool owner patience) and you will soon be swimming in your TFP!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! Water is cloudy. We can see algae and are brushing and vacuuming.
    33,000 gallon in-ground L-shaped, vinyl liner, Heyward sand filter, Polaris 280, TF-100
    Northeast Georgia