Anyone else having trouble getting their water cleared up?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
After a week of filtering, I can barely see the drain. If I wasn't positive that there is DE in the filter, I'd swear that I'm running the filter without any grids in it and merely circulating water. It cleared up to a point, but then no better. We have had tremendous amounts of rain here in PA (as in...basically every day for the past month and no end in sight)...so...I imagine that can play havoc with the clarity due to fluctuating chemistry readings?

Rain will have very little impact on proper water chemistry, well as long as it's not a monsoon that overflows the pool for an hour LOL.

This sounds like a chemistry issue. Can you post a resent set of test results including:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA

I must have been asked this question a few hundred times over the past several years here. The short answer is...no...I'm not interested in going back to chlorine unless I absolutely have to. Been there about 30 years ago with using chlorine and ran into so many chlorine demand issues it literally forced me away from it into using biguanide. I have always liked the feel of the biguanide-based water much better. All that being said, this is certainly one of those times when I'm tempted to consider switching back. With my luck, though, I'd probably run right back into chlorine demand. I hated using the bags of burn-out and also those chlorine sticks that practically gag you when taking one out of the container. The biguanide chemicals somehow seem so much easier to work with.

I don't know much about baquacil. Just know it's not a traditional method on here and apparently it's very expensive.
As far as cloudiness goes, for me, something is in there and needs to die and be filtered out. Just can't help in the baquacil dept. Normally I would tell you to SLAM and filter. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Good luck to you.

awtrizzle...agreed. Something just seems a bit "off" and is not right. Every one of my pool 'instincts' from nearly 30 years of running the pool tells me so. Unless the mystery element is found and corrected, I don't think any amount of oxidizer will clear it up.

Hi Anthony... It sounds like you are using the Oxidizer as needed on a regular basis, right? If you're testing using the Baquacil 4-way test strips, is there still trace amounts of Oxidizer when you test it before adding the next weekly 'maintenance' amount?

On another note... Do you top off with well water and/or have you checked for iron or other metals? Have you tried to use Baquacil Metal Control? I had a similar experience last year and I think it was caused by a old batch of of Metal Control - or I just didn't use enough of it. After using a new bottle, I could see the bottom drain within a few hours.

I do use the oxidizer weekly. As to the Baq test strips - I'm not totally pleased with those. I don't seem to get the colors that I'm supposed to - especially on the sanitizer level. Perhaps it's because mine are well past an expiration date (though really what can go wrong with a test strip if it's past the date? It's not like we're talking about a 6-month old container of greek yogurt here), but anyway I don't like that the strip does not tell you what the level of oxidizer should be - it's either the lighter color (add initial dose) or darker color (add maintenance dose). All well and good....but...what is the color for the correct level? The lack of actual numbers on the strip indicating where the level is supposed to be within a specified range appears to be a significant disadvantage with these strips. Softswim makes a test strip that looks to be better but quite honestly I believe I'm going to invest in the Taylor kit that specifically (and I assume accurately) measures the amount of bigunanide and peroxide. I may be wrong, but I doubt if a test strip is as accurate as a kit that uses reagents.

Regarding the water, yes, I do top off with well water and do use Stain control. The only time I test for metals is when I take a water sample to the pool store, which, since having gotten a good Taylor test kit, I do infrequently. Good thoughts though about the presence of metals causing cloudiness. I'm sure that within the realm of all the various chemicals I put in there in conjunction with weather-related issues (we had rain almost every day the way it seemed the past few weeks), there must be a myriad number of scenarios that can contribute to cloudiness. It's just frustrating knowing how well the pool can look when everything is going well.

Could very well be a mold problem. Mold is what finally made me convert from BQ to Chlorine. I don't know what problems you had 30 years ago, but this website was certainly not readily available back then. If you decide to convert, people here will be more than happy to assist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're having the same problem of clearing up the water. When my husband opened it, the water was clear. He added everything he was supposed to and it stayed clear for a few weeks. Then all of a sudden when he took the cover off one day it was cloudy. He took a sample of the water to be analyzed and they told him everything was perfect. Our area had new water lines run this past winter, so that isn't the problem either. They told him to give it a little time because they thought it would clear itself up. It hasn't. This is the first time in over 20 years this has happened. We have always used Baquacil. They suggested maybe trying broadcasting as a last resort because it's time consuming. Has anyone ever done this? What is the procedure?

Not sure what you mean by "broadcasting" (?) Ours cleared up nicely. Basically all it took was more filtering time. Each day there was some improvement over the last two weeks and by today it's really clear. While this is only my second season using the Aqua Finesse Pool Water Care tablets, I'm really starting to think that it is the answer to maintaining a nice baquacil pool without the water mold issues. The key, I think, is to continue to use the initial dose (2 tablets for 10-15k gallons - I think anyway) instead of going down to 1 as suggested on the instructions after the first 4 weeks. I did that last year and wound up with water mold again. Not that it doesn't take a bit of vigilance with brushing periodically, but so far based on last year and this year I'm well pleased. I was about ready to convert shortly after the beginning of last season and considered the use of the Aqua Finesse a last ditch effort before going back to chlorine. Just using the CDX along with the rest of the Baquacil system over the past many years didn't seem to work well enough for me. Being a baquacil user, you're probably familiar with the now-discontinued product called "Assist" - tablets that went in the skimmer and pump strainer. They worked quite well for keeping the slime and mold in check, but I like these other tablets better. Best of luck....

I might suggest that, for people to better help you here, you add some info in a signature such as the size of your pool and other info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.