Brown algae problem?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Hi,

I just opened the pool a few days ago - had to do several DE filter cleanings, as is expected when opening - but now the pressure seems to have stabilized and yet the water is very cloudy. Worse of all, there are brown globules floating around that, when touched with the net, sort of break up into smaller pieces. I'm assuming this is brown algae? I added the usual start-up dose of algaecide. Cannot even see the bottom of the pool - which is a bit unusual. Typically as the water takes on the proper color, the water usually clears up also.

Current readings are:

pH - 7.6 (was at 7.4 but I added some increaser being that my overall SI was a bit on the negative side)
TA - 70
CH - 170

No chlorine being that it is a baq pool. Any suggestions on how to clear things up? I will likely add an additional does of oxidizer. I respectfully request that any replies not be of the 'consider switching to chlorine' ilk.

Can you please post your Sanitizer and Oxidizer levels? Additionally, how many years has it been since a water change?

Clearing any Baqua pool will require increasing your Oxidizer levels as you stated. You'll want to raise them and keep them elevated until the water is clear.

Sanitizer level was low - under 15 - added last night (came up to 15+) and another pint or so this morning so I suspect by this afternoon it will be higher. I'll bring it up to 50. Oxidizer levels, as determined on my test strips, unfortunately are indicated as being either "add initial dose" (lighter color on the comparison chart) or "add maintenance dose" (darker color). I'm sure there are probably test kits out there that determine more precise measurements for oxidizer level; however, I get a very dark color on the test strip so I suspect there is an adequate level. I'll probably add more anyway if I don't get more clarity soon. I do want to bring up the CH level a bit, and also increased the TA. Regarding water change - all new water as of 2014 when the pool was drained and renovated. The brown algae (if that's what it was) situation appears to be greatly improved. I see little evidence of it today so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.