Converting away from flex filter hoses

Jun 7, 2015
Wantagh, NY
I have a semi-inground and would like to move away from the flex filter hoses that don't last very long for me. I'm still deciding on whether to use PVC or flex PVC. My question is on how to adapt/connect to the barbed fitting molded into the bottom of my skimmer. To me it seems that only a hose and not pipe would be able to connect there. In addition, it's relatively close to the ground so I would have to incorporate a turn. Any advice is appreciated!

I feel in order to be helpful we would need more information. Type of skimmer installed, pump type, etc. My Hayward skimmer has a barb fitting in the bottom, but it is threaded and can be removed and hard plumbed if I wanted. If yours is molded and can't be removed and you would like to hard plumb it you will have to get an adapter such as the ones here : Search Results for flexible pvc coupling at The Home Depot - Mobile

The other option being using flexible pvc as you mentioned as it will likely slide right over the existing fitting and is compatible with ridged pvc. Flexible pvc would also allow you to turn easily, although IIRC it's fairly expensive.

Most cost effective if you have the room is use a coupler and then hard plumb it to your pump Imo. I'm not too well versed on plumbing pools, so hopefully some one else with more experience will coment.

EDIT : Yeah, looking at that picture, if it's not removable, you may have to dig down a little to make room for the piping, then just bury it again. If it's removable, an elbow could thread right into it.

Dragoth - thanks for the recommendation on the no-hub couplers. I've used them before on household plumbing jobs and completely forgot about them.

kevreh - there's no hex base, just a bad picture. Barb is definitely molded in.

Skimmer is a Skim Line and pump is a Waterway. Pump side is easy because it's threaded. If I go with 1.5" flex pvc, is the bend radius too large to make the turn from the bottom of the skimmer? If so, I guess I'll have to go barb>no hub coupler>pvc nipple or 45 or 90>flex pvc. Sound about right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 54
Do you have room to use a short piece of hose and a couple clamps to connect things?

apcparts_SPX1105Z4.jpg

SPX1105Z4 - Hayward - ELBOW ADAPTOR, 1 1/2" BARB X 1 1/2" MPT

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.