Paint or Plaster??

Deluca

Apr 17, 2017
NJ
Hello,

As I continue to clean up an old gunite pool that has not been opened in years (full album here and higher resolution http://imgur.com/a/JFZZj) I have a question I hope someone can answer. I borrowed the neighbors power washer today and immediately it became clear that I had to be very gentle with it. Some small chips came off my pools finish, however the finish appears very thin in spots and now I am not sure whether the pool has a plaster finish or just pain over concrete. Sorry grew up with vinyl liner pools but never had a concrete one, so this is all new to me. Thanks for any advice!

WlfotT8l.jpg

Del,

While it looks like paint, I suspect it is just very thin plaster. I say this because most painted pools had plaster at one time and then some (who should be shot!!) painted them.

Since you are right down to the gunite, I vote plaster and not paint.

That said, I've been wrong before... about 50 times today alone.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R

Looks like paint. Put a chip in paint thinner and one in acid to see which dissolves the chip better.

If it's plaster, the chip will bubble off carbon dioxide when put in acid.

So today I took a chip of of my pools surface and dropped it in some xylene and it started to dissolve. Looks like my pool was painted with a rubber based paint. It actually looks like someone chipped off all the plaster then painted it. It just goes to show protected from sunlight and clorine the paint can last a long time, my neighbor says the pool has not been touched in at least 8 years. While I understand it is not a long term solution right now I am considering just touching up with some acrylic paint. Most of the pool looks very white after today's acid wash.

I don't know much about pool paint except that it doesn't seem to last more than 2 or 3 years. But, I can't imagine an acrylic paint would last long or even cure underwater. Seems like the water would just dissolve it since it water based.

Unfortunately I am stuck with paint; it is in too good condition to justify the expense of sandblasting and refinishing. I am going to go with a pool specific acrylic because it will overcoat the rubber paint. I could paint with rubber but i am not sure if I have a clorinated or synthetic based paint. Reading over the data sheets the acrylic also seems a little more forgiving in surface prep. You do have to let it cure a week before filling the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.