Faded PebbleSheen around deep end

May 27, 2017
Tucson/AZ
First, I sincerely apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything similar. If so, please point me to that thread!

Around my deep end, my blue (I believe Tahoe Blue) PebbleSheen is fading. It is not splotchy like any other issues/photos I've found, it's just faded and more brown-looking compared to the rest of the pool. It's nearly in a circle around the deep end drain. In the attached pictures, there is a defined curved 'line' around the train, where the coloring obviously changes.

The pool is 4 years old now. I feel like this had been here a while, but it seems like it may be getting worse. I discovered this website ~3 years ago and have been using Chlorox Bleach ever since. It's obviously disconcerting that I may be 'bleaching' my pool, but I assume everyone else would be having that problem if it were possible, so that's probably not it. I feel like if I told my pool company that though, they'd blame me for using Bleach!

I did test my water yesterday, and here were the results.
CYA ~ 80 (I know this is high...I feel like it was high when I first got the pool though? Does that happen because of any construction/plaster leeching into the water the first time?)
Alkalinity is ~70. I know I need to add some Baking Soda to bring this up. FYI, when I first tested it, my Alkalinity was ~200. I had to use the method I found on here, adding acid and running my fountain, for a few days before I could it down to ~120 3 years ago.
FC: 6
CC: 0

So I guess I have a few questions:

1) Anyone know what is causing this fading?
2) How to prevent this getting worse?
3) How to fix it? If it's a permanent 'fade', is it even possible to drain the pool, acid wash, and reapply the blue coloring? Or do you have to rip out the pebbleTec and start from scratch (expensive!!! ouch).

Thanks very much for any input! I have had less issues than all my friends by using the methods on this site, so you all are a blessing! I just now can't figure out this 'fading' issue!

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 86
Hi Jason and welcome to TFP! :wave: Don't worry about the CYA. It got high from conditioner that was added or previous stabilized products. This time of year it won't hurt you too bad. I'm no plaster expert, but for the life of me I can't see the discoloration you're talking about from my laptop. In any case, you know something is odd and that's all that matters. But for this issue you left out two of the most important tests ... pH & CH. We know water is hard in your area, so it would be interesting for everyone to know what your possible Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) is at the moment. That "may" tell us a bit more. Stick close to this thread, update it, and :bump: it as necessary so we can get you some answers. Nice to have you with us.

Here's the rest of the chemistry info:
Ph : 7.6 (I watch this pretty closely, 2-3 times a week during the summer. Was ~7.6 a couple days ago too, and added Muratic Acid...I add Acid ~2 times per week in summer).

CH: 875

After reading what Brian said, I remembered that just when they put in the pebbleTec/color, we got an early monsoon rain that caused water to sit at the bottom. Digging up some old photos, it does seem like the 'grey' looking water is about the same size as my discoloration. Notice that this 'grey' water is shifted more to the "left" vs the "right" of the drain, which matches the size of the discoloration.

(I just got photobucket for posting on this site...let me know if these don't work!)

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p367/jlboyd7/IMG_0526_zps5dy7xgkk.jpg
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p367/jlboyd7/IMG_0527_zps9pwvieq4.jpg

What's interesting is that I didn't really notice this until last summer. It seems to be getting worse, although maybe it's just because I'm noticing it more and am becoming paranoid about staining my pool with Bleach!
Here are some other photos that were taken 4 years ago, after the pool was built....I wasn't really trying to focus on the 'fade', so the pictures aren't as good.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p367/jlboyd7/2013 pic_zpsrrq3noz6.jpg
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p367/jlboyd7/2013 pic2_zpsz0ljjqn0.jpg

Here's a similar photo I took this morning, for better comparison:
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p367/jlboyd7/2017_zpsgyildnec.jpg

There are a couple observations/questions here:
1) Just looking at the photo I took this morning compared to the summer photos 4 years ago, the whole pool seems "less blue". Is it natural for the color to fade a bit, overall? This makes sense I suppose, as the Tucson sun bleaches everything else.

If natural fading occurs due to the sun (??), it possible that this 'faded region' was always there, but as the pool color fades it's just becoming more pronounced (ie. the fading is progressing differently over the different areas)? Or, possibly, maybe I just notice it more.

I guess overall, I realize this is the definition of a "first world problem", and my pool still looks great... but my main worry is, could I be doing something to make this worse?

And, still a question from my original post...is there any way to fix/undo this? Can PebbleTec come out and 're-spray' the blue coloring after an acid wash, or do they have to rip out the PebbleTec completely when they do that and start over?

Thanks

You are absolutely correct. The variation is more pronounced because the plaster has faded. This happens to all plaster finishes and it has nothing to do with anything that you are doing.

Bleach sounds harsh but it is not in any way with any measurable amount of CYA in the water.

Blue plaster is one of the worst offenders for losing its color because the pigment used for the blue color is organic....you use chlorine to kill organics right?

As for fixing the issue, an acid wash may be the ticket but I'm my experience is not worth the damage it does to the surface for only a slight chance it may fix the variation.

Take a look at this post:

Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble - Page 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.