pump overheating

May 29, 2013
hi folks
I'm in the UK,
need some advice regards overheating pump and pool filtering system all together

had this pump for around 10 yrs its a Marlow ITT J15O EC, I think its a 1hp pump, (have seen on net that you can replace with a newer model that replaces everything except the strainer bowl but can't find web page now)
this winter I fitted a 45KW heat exchanger (hot side feed from oil boiler) seemed to work ok last week under test
but this week I was vacuuming the pool as I'm just opening it, run lovely for 4 hrs then pump stopped, now pump stops every 1-2hrs,
the pump body temp is 170F when it stops so I think its overheating,
I've tried running it with vacuuming off, and skimmer and bottom drain on
with the heat exchanger on its own and with a bypass valve part open (I fitted pipework so I can bypass/isolate the heat exchanger)
pressure in my triton TR 60 filter is normal (8 psi running 14 psi needs backwash)

read pump can overheat because of, suction lines blocked, pressure lines blocked, capacitor failed (anything else ?)

Section lines appear clear, the Pump bowl it full of water,
pressure lines pressure & water in filter looks normal
capacitor I'm going to try to test today with a basic multimeter (just on ohms)

More than likely it is the bearings in the motor. Is it loud?

Those could be replaced although you might be better off replacing the entire motor.

Also, a motor won't overheat with partial blockage of the suction or returns. It will only overheat on complete blockage without any flow rate. If you water coming out of the returns, that is not the issue.

Also, if the capacitor failed, the motor would not start.

If you want a motor replacement, post the label HP, Service factor and Frame type

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.