CYA Gone... Help!

Jul 11, 2012
SE Georgia
Sorry for the long post...

I have NO CYA in my pool. About a month ago I put 8lbs in my 23000 gallon pool so I should have between 40 and 50 CYA maybe a little more. I am really thinking it should be around 60/70 as I think there was some in there when I added the 8lbs.

Tonight when I tested my water my free chlorine was a 2, CC 0, PH 7.5 and my CYA was a 0. This is the first time I have tested the CYA since I put it in the pool a few weeks ago. My salt cell has been on the verge of failure so I have been testing the water almost daily for CL and adding liquid bleach. I was using right at a gallon a day. Now I know why it was so much. Having no stabilizer and the pool being in full sun will do that. My chlorine has been around a 2 or 3 every night when I test. I have been adding a 121 oz jug of 8.25% bleach to get it to around a 5/6... and the last couple days that is with the salt cell operating again... We are in SE GA full sun on the pool so I guess that is about right.

Before I add more stabilizer to the pool is there anything I need to check or do so all my CYA doesn’t disappear again? I have been using the TFP method to keep my pool up for several years now. Normally over the winter for no apparent reason our CYA mostly disappears, even with the pool being kept up over the winter. But normally in the spring I get it up to around 60/70 then it’s good for the summer.
Also, I did test the CYA twice tonight. Once with my reagent from last year and once with the new reagent that I got in my yearly tftestkits refill this spring. (I had to open it tonight to use it because I was doubting the old reagent) Both results were the same… Very little if any CYA… Granted I did late evening but if my CYA were even close to 40/50 I should have notice at least a little cloudiness in the test tube. (Main reason I tested was because my chlorine is going away so fast…) I normally don’t bother checking the CYA much if the pool is maintaining the chlorine and I haven’t had to do any water removal due to rain. When I did add the CYA a few weeks ago, I did it by putting it in a couple old socks and hung them in front of the return jets. I normally check it when I need to add salt to the pool since water loss is the main thing that affects both salt and CYA.

I have a cartridge filter so there hasn’t been any backwashing or other major water loss. The only loss of water that I can think of in the last month or so was the day before yesterday when I had to take about an inch and a half out since so it wouldn’t overflow. We got around 5.5 inches of rain in 2 days. Good timing though, I was about to add water and the rain did it for me.

Suggestions? Advice?

Well, it may always be a mystery what happened but you need to get some in there right away. I would dose to 30 ppm, test in a few days, and if the CYA shows 30 ppm, go ahead and dose for a total of 70 ppm.

I have no explanation where the CYA is other than, each year, we get similar complaints......almost as if the CYA was a bogus product. That's hard for me to believe but there are few other valid explanations.

Well, it may always be a mystery what happened but you need to get some in there right away. I would dose to 30 ppm, test in a few days, and if the CYA shows 30 ppm, go ahead and dose for a total of 70 ppm.

I have no explanation where the CYA is other than, each year, we get similar complaints......almost as if the CYA was a bogus product. That's hard for me to believe but there are few other valid explanations.
I read some stuff about possible ammonia in the pool but wouldn't that show up as CC? The most CC I have had in the pool is .5 which is normal since our pool is very heavily used.

Before adding more CYA, do this simple test. Turn off the SWG, add enough bleach to reach 10ppm, run the pump for 15 minutes then test the FC again. If the majority of the FC is gone then you will need to repeat this test cycle until the FC starts to hold. When the majority of the FC holds you can add more CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So... The 4 lbs I added yesterday is pretty much completely dissolved by this morning. I think it dissolved so fast that it made the pool a little hazy. (I think hanging it in front of the returns just pushed it out of the socks so fast that its not actually all dissolved yet.)

But.. I did test just to see if it registered. It is registering now. I also just tested my chlorine this afternoon (heat of the day) and it seems to be holding much better now.

@ Paul & Crystal... I think maybe it was the brand (Clorox) that didn't work before. The new stuff (HTH) also lowered my PH like it normally does when you add stabilizer...

If all holds out over the next few days I will add the rest to bring the pool back into that 60-70 that I like to keep it at...

Again... Thanks everyone for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.