How large a tear can be patched on Intex vinyl pools? also ladder recommendations...

May 24, 2017
Kona Hawaii
An oversized friend broke the pool ladder in three pieces as he was climbing out. One with him on it cut a 12" vertical gash in my two year old 16'x32' x52" Intex pool, starting near the bottom of the pool and going 12" up. Intex only provides small patches. I found some larger ones online with different comments about how large a hole was being patched and how long the patch would hold.

Does anyone have experience patching large, clean cuts like mine, and if so, how long has it lasted? Also, let me know if you have an opinion about if there's a maximum size for a patch.

While I'm at it, are there any ladders for Intex above ground pools that you can recommend that can handle people weighing 300+ pounds? Mahalo as we say in Hawaii!

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you should replace the liner.

The liner is all the structural integrity of the pool, there are no metal walls to support the liner. Your 15,000 gallon pools holds 125,400 lbs of water, that's almost 63 tons, or a lightly loaded semi tractor-trailer.

If that liner repair should suddenly (and violently) fail, anyone close to the failure will be pulled under and trapped in the suction/current.

Your family's safety is not worth the price of a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.