Google Chromecast Audio - so far so great.

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
I just installed a Google Chromecast dongle (Internet port) for my pool stereo.

For $35 its working awesome.

Can control music via my phone or laptop - stations, media on Google Music (Pandora, Spotify, etc), volume, on-off

It is connected via a RCA cable to my 70's vintage yet very high quality Amp and Tuner.

I know sonos sonos sonos sonos -- but for $35 bucks it does what I need.

Would recommend the product.

It streams via wi-fi and before I was using Bluetooth via my phone. So this saves the battery on my phone and wi-fi is better than
phone-to-bluetooth-to stereo.

I too use a Chromecast and my existing receiver. I looked into Sonos, but really needed something waterproof. I have an Amazon Fire tablet in a water proof bag that I use to cast music to the stereo and control the pool (as well as order an occasional pizza while in the pool :D). I also just picked up a Google Home and can use that to send music to the Chromecast as well.

Picked up a chromecast audio too myself a few weeks ago. Like it so far. Also, decided against a sonos and went with an Aiwa Exos-9 portable speaker. The thing is amazing. And LOUD. Incredible sound quality and is also portable unlike the sonos, has a subwoofer unlike the sonos and $200 cheaper than the sonos 5. I use the Shuttle+ app to cast music to it over the home wifi but it also works with bluetooth or just simply an auxillary 3.5mm cable or USB.

I just bought a chromecast and definitely would recommend it with one caveat...If you are using an android device it's great as it allows you to mirror your phone or tablet so all apps will stream to your receiver/speakers. If using an iPhone or iPad, you are limited to what apps have developed support for it which eliminates amazon music. Still a good deal for $35 but a bit more limited. I do like it quite a bit more than using a bluetooth device. My entire yard has wifi coverage so I can take my phone with me wherever I need to go and don't drop connection. This definitely wasn't possible with bluetooth speakers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.