Proteam metal magic vs Startup Tec vs Beautec

I'm learning that pool products aren't always the best to use on a small swim spa. I've read where this forum recommends Startup Tec for metals. I called the manufacturer of Startup Tec today and asked the tech person if this product is ok for small swim spa with heater. She recommended Beautec instead. Said it lasts longer and isn't as expensive as Startup. She said its ph/Alk neutral and doesn't affect chlorine. I used Proteam metal magic on initial fill and had no problems. We really don't have an iron/staining issue from our water but I've had no problem with metal magic and want to ensure no problem with this drain/refill. Any advice on Beautec vs. Startup tec?

( Beautec is same as "the ultimate scale and stain controller" by Leslie.)

Do you know if there is any iron in your well water? Have you ever had it analyzed by a water company for trace metals and other contaminants?

If there are no metals from the well, then spending money on metal sequestrants is, well, a waste of money. One way to test it would be to get a nice clean, shiny white 5 gallon bucket, add 2 gallons of well water, 2 cups of bleach and 1/4 cup of washing soda (soda ash) and then give it a swirl to mix. Let it sit for 24-48 hours and, if there is no staining inside the bucket, then it is highly doubtful you have any metal in the water and you can save yourself the expense of using sequestrant. Also, sequestrant is not a one time deal - over time it breaks down from chlorine exposure (despite what the spa store lady says) and you have to periodically dose it to keep the levels up. But again, if no metals are present in the water, then why waste the time and money on it.

As for which one is better, that's kind of like asking which baseball team is the best....ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. They are all based either on HEDP or polyacrylic acid (PAA). Some are better suited for high salt environments (high TDS). But overall, they will all perform about the same.

Silvergirl, I've used metal magic in my hot tub during winters when my water source was raw well without any problems. But I also don't use it if its summer and I can fill from my softened water. But I have a known level of iron in my well (2 ppm).

You will know pretty quickly whether you need it or not in terms of iron because there will be a yellow tint the first time you add chlorine ;) But metal magic also helps control scale build up if your well has high CH.

Since it sounds like you change your water periodically, I see no reason not to use MM even though its a "big pool" product, provided you don't use a big pool application rate. The only caveat would be that if you don't change your water now and then and use large doses of it, and keep the swim spa hot, you could theoretically build up phosphate scale in your heater. That's because many stain and scale products are made from phosphonic acid that breaks down over time. But water changes make that remote possibility a non issue...I've been using MM in my 104 degree hot tub for six years with no issue ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.