algae? stain? treatment?

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD

I thought this was algae. It was green when I started and I raised my shock levels to 30 for 3 days now. The algae has changed color, but it is stuck to the walls and floor. I am brushing it with a wire brush, but that only fades it a little bit. It is certinatly getting better, but it is going very slow. At one time my entire pool floor was covered with this algae. it looks greener in the picture then in real life.

I am at my 3rd day of 30 plus CL.

My test kit is old and the CL is so high I do not trust the numbers, but

CL 50 Today
CYA 80 when I tested it 40 when the pool store tested it.
PH 8.0 (this reading has been all over the place)
TA 90
CA 175

Probably not relevant, but When I closed the pool I fixed my pool beam, reset some tiles and reset the coping and regrouted. Some of the morter dropped in the pool and I left it there all winter. I am also working through a DE power leak. My pool has a rough surface and seems like algae could get a good grip. I scrubbed a small area with a CL puck and it did fade it.

You have algae embedded in Calcium Scale. The only reason the puck worked was because it is very acidic.

What you need to restore the pool is a drain and sand blast; a drain and acid wash; or a no-drain acid wash. You can use the search box to learn more about each. Any of the choices will be rough on old plaster. I haven't done any of these personally, so you've reached the limits of my knowledge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.