Discolored Plaster

May 23, 2017
Colfax, CA
Hello and thank you in advance for your help.

Background: We purchased our home about 16 months ago. The pool is roughly 34,000 GAL and is surrounded by 100ft+ pine trees. About May of last year there were some issues with the pool pump and piping and in order to fix it we had to drain the pool. Attached are photos of the pool empty from last year. We hired a pool company to maintain the pool and the ever nightmare of pine needles. As of 2 months ago I have been maintaining the pool myself. This is my first time and my hats are off to all those who own or maintain pools... Its a LOT of work.

Current issue: As I mentioned the pool has a lot of pine trees all around it and a few weeks ago the pollen has been coming down like crazy. I have finally started to get the pool clear again and a few days ago I noticed the plaster at the steps and along one of the benches has some dis-colorization. When I run my hand along it feels smooth. The very top step has lost most of the color and is rough to touch. My fear is that a thin layer of plaster is coming off but I honestly have no idea what is going on. Take a look of the pictures and let me know what you think.

IMG_20160510_194024077.jpgIMG_20170522_185949.jpgIMG_20170522_190158.jpg

Hi! I am so glad you found us! The first thing I am going to tell you is that taking care of your own pool does NOT have to be hard IF you have the correct tool! The MOST important tool you need is your own test kit! Look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck! It will save you so much money and heart ache!

Let me know if you are interesting in learn more about taking care of your pool!

Kim:kim:

The reason for the loss of color and roughness of the top step could have been caused by a tri-chlor (chlorine) floater. That type of chlorine is very acidic and can etch plaster where it sits very close to the surface. Also, it could have been caused by an acid washing performed in the past and the acid was allowed to remain on the top step for too long.

No further plaster damage will be done if the above two issues are avoided.
Also, consider sanding the top step with some 80 grit wet and dry sandpaper. That should help "smooth" the plaster somewhat.

The previous pool guy did use a floater, but I am not using it. The pollen has been very heavy the last few weeks. I read that pollen can stain the pool, so I wonder if I am seeing that as well. I picked up a bottle of Leslies clear aid to clear up the pollen. I have been running the pump for about 28 hours now. This morning I checked the FC using the K-2005 kit and its saying my FC is at 0. According to the Clear Aid I need to wait 48 hours before shocking the pool.

FC = 0
PH = 7.2
TA = 70
CH = 230
CYA = 50

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.