Baquacil conversion with percarbonates

Re: Baquacil conversion with percarbonates

Ordered it this morning.

OK. Without a test kit I don't want to suggest anything just yet. As soon as you get it, I need to know your exact TA levels and CH levels. I'd also like a readout on your pH. The reason being is that I'd like to run some numbers through a spreadsheet to see what we can expect in terms of possible scaling potential. I know your CH is low, but I'd rather wait until I see some numbers from one of the recommended test kits.

The best way to add percarbonate would be by broadcasting it slowly around the pool perimeter and brushing vigorously.

Can you please update your user signature with your equipment specs - pump, filter type, any heater (?), etc, etc. All of this information is critical in helping you.

Laura! Wow you are one brave person! BUT it will be neat if it does speed up the conversion!

I would love for you to take a pic of the pool as it is now. That will help everyone that follows this in the future. I have an idea this thread will be one used in the future!

:hug: You are in good hands!

Kim:kim:

Laura,

As you can see, the Mods are keeping an eye on this thread. So let's show them we know what we're doing and post lots of information & progress pictures.

Would you mind sharing the link for the percarbonate material you found on Amazon?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are underway.
I took my water to the pool store this morning. Here are my levels:
Sanitizer 41
pH 6.6
TA 94
Oxidizer 189

Our own testing at home was:
pH 7.0
TA 110
Calcium 200

An hour after we added the percarbonate we got:
pH 7.5
TA 160
Calcium 275

I'm m goons do my best to figure out how to post pictures and get them on soon.
To begin with, our pool is not the cleanest since it is difficult to clean when I can't see past the 2nd step. When we took the cover off, it looked the best it has since we opened it......aparently doing nothing was my best move. I sprinkled the percarbonate in as I walked around the pool. Things started to bubble and churn but did not change color. Mostly I think it is gunk off the bottom of the pool (in the deep end) coming up to the surface.
Do I need to add any acid?
I'm off to a middle school awards assembly and then have to get to work. I'll check pH and TA when I get home tonight.

I did not brush.....probably should have. I will do that when I get a chance. I added all 10 lbs. of percarbonate.

Yeah. Brushing is kind of important when adding any form of granular chemicals. You don't want them just floating to the bottom and not dissolving.

Some things you need to keep an eye on are your pH, TA, sanitizer level (hopefully goes to zero) and your oxidizer level.

Can you measure your sanitizer & oxidizer levels yourself or do you have to go to the pool store??

Ok. Just make sure you brush the pool and run the pump. The water needs to circulate. You could leave the filter in recirculate mode.

As for pictures, you can either use a free hosting service and link to them in your post, or become a supporting member of TFP and get some actual image storage space (along with lots of other goodies...). Some people use Google Pictures (or whatever it's called these days) or Photobucket for image hosting.

If you have any test strips from last year you can use them to test the Sanitizer levels. It's likely that's all the Pool Store uses anyways.

Sorry for the delay. Work had to take precedence for a little bit. It is almost 1 am and I just tested my water....
pH of 7.5
TA of 130
I will do calcium in the morning.....
My filter pressure has stayed the same and my basket in the return had stuff in it but no slime that I could see.
I also saw no goo on the top of the water. We'll see what it looks like in the morning..........
Oh.... I did dip a baquacil strip and the sanitizer read between 15 and 30.
I will scrub in the morning and see what happens

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.