So, whats everyone paying for water ???

waterl0gged

May 12, 2014
Central PA
Figured , this would be the best place to ask this question since there are a lot of new builds that need to be filled with water .
I was absolutely blown away at what we had to pay for pool water in our rural Central PA area .
Priced around , and all of the local water trucking companies were about the same ........... .05 cents a gallon . While that does not seem like a lot , just multiply the gallons needed to fill a large pool ! We have a 25,000 gallon pool, and just had a new liner installed . That meant that we needed a complete fill with new water . Didn't want to risk killing our well pump with running a week straight to fill the pool , so trucked in water was the only choice .

Got three tanker trucks in to deliver 20,500 gallons for a cool $1000. bill !!!! :( WOW !!!
The rest I filled with the hose , about 5,000 gallons .

Just venting because I was quite shocked at the prices for water in our area ! I paid about 1/3 the price of the liner job , just for the water !

So, what is everyone paying for pool water in YOUR area ?
How about giving your general area and price per gallon you paid and the general total you paid for your pool fill with how many gallons your pool holds .
This should be fun !

Edit : One side benefit of the trucked in water is that is about perfect for pool water parameters minus the CYA . So far I have put in 6 lbs of CYA , with probably another 2 to go to get my CYA levels up to about 35-40 .

We talked to our well driller/pump guy before the initial fill (accidentally drained twice since) and his advice was to be sure to run at least two spigots all open. He explained the cycling on and off is more likely to kill your pump than it running constantly and staying on. I think we paid about $1700 to replace our pump once years before the pool install but have filled pool 3 times with no issues. I'd never pay for trucked water.

Filling from a well can be a big problem. Many wells do not have the capacity to keep up with wide open spigots and you will soon uncover the pump motor and burn it up. $2k plus to fix that.

Be aware of the limited capacity of many if not most wells.....waterl0gged is wise to be aware of this.

Secondly, it is quite common to get something you didn't bargain for when you fill from a well.....iron.

Iron content in your pool water can be a HUGE problem and condemn you to a lifetime of purchasing sequestrants and chasing iron stains. In the long run, paying $1000 for trucked in water may turn out to be a bargain.

$2.70 per 1,000 gallons up to conservation limit (single-family home = 15,000 gallons)
$3.38 per 1,000 gallons in excess of 15,000 gallons

Amazing prices since we are in a desert but have the mighty Colorado River. Helps make the replacement of our 6000 gallons every 18 months or so due to high CH more palatable.

I was quoted $1500 but mostly due to travel costs as no one around me provides the service, needless to say I went the hose method. Took about 2.5 days and used neighbors hose for one of the days, my water bill was about $130 for that month.

Salty

Last June when our pool was installed, I had no idea we could get water delivered. I wish I did. My husband mentioned it on the third day our pool was filling. We have town water (no well) and our water bill ended up being about $300. And our water her is high in iron. A water delivery would have been about $250 for our size pool. And the water would have probably been better. Definitely will not use the hose if we need to do it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
About the same here. It was $250 per tanker 4 years ago.

Last fall I had my pool drained and coping/tiling/concrete decking redone. I had to fill the pool so they could install the pool cover by floating it on top of the full pool. Took my hose 6 days to fill it up, so today when they came out to replaster the inside, we had a truck deliver the water. 6,000 gallons per load, 5 loads, $220 each. That's 3.7 cents a gallon, more expensive than the city water through the hose, but a lot faster.

Swampy - Yowza! That would be pretty overweight MD for sure. But some states do have higher limits. Good price for trucked though as a result.

$3.734 per CCF. That's hundred cubic feet which is 748 gallons. Plus some taxes and surcharges. And the fixed fee for just having a meter. But the additional water to fill the pool over and above household usage is about half a cent per gallon. Eighty bucks to fill 16,000 gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.