Help! How to tap out a T to fix a leak

May 20, 2017
Buffalo NY
IMG_1003.jpgIMG_1004.jpg
Hello everybody! I need some advice on repairing a leak. One of my awesome employees managed to hit this pipe and break it at the joint take-off from the T. The pen in the first pic shows the area I am referring to when I ask if there is a way cut away the pipe, and then tap out the cap to reuse. I need to rebuild the whole elbow section, but cannot cut away and replace the whole T as you can see in the picture. Any advice in this regard is appreciated!

Ouch. That's not going to be an easy fix. If it was a bigger part, with some working room you could use a mission coupling. But as compact as that is its likely that you'll need to rebuild it. I like making things a bit bigger than necasary just for things like this.

I would try a little primer and then pvc cement on the outside to see if you can fuse it back together. I doubt that'll work, but it would be my first attempt. Then go with the heat gun to try to remove the pvc cement to replace the damaged fitting(s). From now on punch anyone you see installing something with zero clearance like that.

From now on punch anyone you see installing something with zero clearance like that.

You got that right. That's how it goes in hotels. The sad part is they had all the room in the world to leave plenty of clearance. Im going to attempt to make a flush cut at the top of the T, and a bunch of vertical cuts to the piece of pipe thats left in the fitting. Then try to heat/chisel out the pieces, clean it up with sandpaper, and hope for the best!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.