My 1st slam

May 15, 2017
Brecksville/ Ohio
Help!! This is my first slam, we have a fiberglass pool approximately 16x32' When we took the cover off on Sunday the pool was green. Before I started the slam test results were:
FC 1.6
CC .4
PH 7.3
CYA maybe 10-15, (could still see black dot)

We have been keeping the sock level around fC 11-14 brushing everyday and backwashing. The pool is not longer green, but still very cloudy. Today I checked the chemicals and
FC 12.4
CC.8
PH 7.1
CYA 10-15
TA 75 ( I think??)

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I was hoping it would be clear by now :(
Thank you

How often are you testing and re-dosing? Which test kit are you using? If you're using the TF-100/K-2006 just use 10mL of pool water for the FC test and then divide the drops of reagent needed to clear it by 2. That will save your reagent. Are you using liquid chlorine- (you don't mention so I have to ask just to be sure, sorry!)

Get some CYA in there to bring it up to 30ppm. Input 15 in to Pool Math and ask it to telll you how much to add to go up to 30ppm CYA.

Only backwash when your filter pressure rises 20-25%..... a slightly dirty filter actually works better than a pristine clean sand filter.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you for your response. We are testing every two hours or so trying to keep the fc around 12-15 with liquid bleach. We are using the Taylor k-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. Can I add CYA during the Slam? I am getting pretty discouraged, we are in day 8 of the slam and really haven't seen much improvement the past four days. The water is very cloudy. How much longer??????

thank you for any help,

jill

Probably not a bad idea to retest your CYA and confirm- as you may be undershooting the mark with your FC. Don't add any more CYA until you can confirm what your actual reading is but unless it is <30 you don't want to add any more.

Have you also checked behind light niches, ladders around skimmers etc for hidden algae hiding spots?

How is your FC holding up between tests?

WHen it gets like this and you've confirmed your CYA and FC doses are correct and you've scoped out any hidden places for algae, you are resigned to being patient while your filter does its thing.

How has your filter pressure been doing? Have you seen a rise or needed to backwash it? Another trick is to put a little DE in your sand filter to help trap the smallest of schmutz. But remember that you'll be losing that DE when you have to backwash, but its easy to add it yet again.
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Thank you! I just checked my CYA and confirmed that it's 25, alittle low?? Every inch of my pool has been scrubbed and vacuumed, I can't see any algae. My FC has been holding well the past few days. Today I actually saw some improvement, I'm seeing further into the pool; unfortunately I'm at the point where I need to be patient ☹️

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you 100% this is the latest we have ever opened, and we won't be doing that again!!!

- - - Updated - - -

My pressure has been holding well and things started to improve alittle this morning, so I'm feeling a bit more optimistic &#55357;&#56832; We actually might swim this summer &#55357;&#56832; I'm nervous about adding de I don't want to damage my sand filter, have you done it before? Thanks for everyone's help and support!!

Oh absolutely I've done it! DE in the sand filter, when done per the TFP instructions, is very safe. The only problem would be if you added too much. Since DE captures the smallest of schmutz as the water travels thru it the filter pressure rises. You only want to add enough to give your pressure a one point rise. For me that's about 1/2 cup to a cup. The DE lies on the uppermost surface of the sand and when you next backwash you're wasting it out and would have to add it again if you wanted it in there. I think it really helps polish the water and is best added near the very end of a SLAM.

I would also suggest you call your CYA 30 (no half ways) and up your FC appropriately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.