Mustard Algae!

Update!

Pool is as clear as it has EVER been before. It looks like glass! :shock:

However, it POURED rain last night (I bet the firefighters were happy)...people were still popping fireworks though, and our city still had the firework show in the rain! But, I knew I wouldn't be able to do an accurate overnight FC test with the rain.

I've kept my pool at shock level today, and I will do the overnight FC test tonight--that is, if it doesn't rain. It rained a bit this morning--but most of the rain has moved out of our area now.

I will make sure to look at the filter when I get up tomorrow morning and see if it is wet.

Thanks again for all of your help.

I still need to take some photos. I will post them ASAP! :mrgreen:

**OH and I did another CYA test--and it's down to 50!! :whoot:

Okay I just performed the overnight FC test.

At 11:00pm last night the FC was at 19.

At 5:30am this morning the FC was at 19!

CC = 0!!

AND my pool is clear (with the exception of my sand filter problem)...

So, if I can get my equipment working right and fix the leaks--then I can actually start enjoying the pool.

I posted a new thread in the "Pumping Station" about my sand filter problem.

Since my algae problem is resolved--you can close this thread if you need/want to!

Thanks again to everyone for your help! :D

Whew! I'm glad you finally conquered the yellow/mustard algae and hope that it won't come back. It's definitely harder to get rid of and keep away than regular green algae, requiring higher chlorine levels. It's insidious since it prefers shade and can hide in light niches, in pool poles and other surfaces just waiting for a chance to come back. The only good news is that it doesn't seem to just be around and get blown in -- it seems to normally be brought in from other sources, most likely from lakes via swimsuits.

Contratulations on winning the battle!

Richard

Congrats on clearing your pool. When I first opened my pool I figured the pool store was where I would learn everything. After discovering this site and then asking questions at the store about what I read, it became clear that they didn't know everything they should. I've been reading your posts (and others) to keep me aware of problems that CAN happen if I don't stay on top of my pool. I find it very soothing actually to go out and take care of it. Thanks mostly for the pics so I can clearly see what a major algae problem looks like. Your filter DEFINITELY looks like a leak to me. I have a DE filter but I had a puddle just like that under mine when I first started the season. My drain plug in the back was leaking, slowly, but enough to make a puddle. I had to shut the pump off, drain the filter, take the plug off, put some new Teflon tape on the threads and put it back. It stopped the leak, but for some reason I was paranoid and tightened it more only to crack the plug and have it leak again!

Thank you everyone!

I'm not used to the pool looking so clear!

Nick (my fiance) and I went swimming yesterday and were shocked at how much we could see (with goggles on)!!! It was so exciting! :mrgreen:

luckyman_apd - I definitely think we have a leak. I started a new thread in the pump station area if you are interested in following it.

I am really going to spend some time checking for leaks and try to get my problems fixed.

Thanks again everyone! :cheers: :party:

UPDATE FOR PHOTOS SINCE :nopic: :lol: :mrgreen:

Here is what my water looked like from my diving board when I had algae:
[attachment=1:152wqbs6]diving board before.jpg[/attachment:152wqbs6]

Here is what the water looks like now from the diving board:
[attachment=0:152wqbs6]diving board after.jpg[/attachment:152wqbs6]

Attachments

• diving board before.jpg
    diving board before.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 161
  • diving board after.jpg
    diving board after.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 162

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Carrying on...

Here is what the steps in my pool looked like before the BBB treatment--notice the mustard algae growth.. :lol: :shock:
[attachment=1:3nr7ep9s]steps before.jpg[/attachment:3nr7ep9s]

And here is what my steps look like now,after the BBB treatment:
[attachment=0:3nr7ep9s]steps after.jpg[/attachment:3nr7ep9s]

:whoot: :cheers:

Attachments

• steps before.jpg
    steps before.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 162
  • steps after.jpg
    steps after.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 164
Finally a few more after BBB photos to show that everyone here is amazing and very knowledgeable! :)

[attachment=1:2nvioazw]pool 1.jpg[/attachment:2nvioazw]

[attachment=0:2nvioazw]pool 4.jpg[/attachment:2nvioazw]

I am having a huge party today/Saturday evening!! I can't wait to show off how clear the pool is! :party:

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 160
  • pool 4.jpg
    pool 4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 159
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.