Mustard Algae!

frustratedpoolmom said:
Rubygrrl said:
[
I would be thrilled if I could get the CYA down to 60!! Do you have any estimate of how many drains (if we just drain to right below the returns) it will take to get us that low?

I put in a small jug of bleach last night as it was filling--should I do that again this evening?

I know that my first priority should be lowering the CYA--and then use my new CYA number and shock it at the mustard algae level (using the chart). Water is still super cloudy--but it's not NEAR as green as it was last Thursday and Friday---it's more blue-green now.

So, is putting in a little bleach pointless? I just don't want my FC to fall too low..

Thanks again for your help frustrated pool mom. I see you had the same problem I did back in 2007.

I really want to drain more of the pool--but we can not afford to replace the liner at this time, so I don't want to do anything that could harm it.

I'm really trying to have POP--but it's hard. I just hope we only have to drain 1-2 more times max. :)

Someone smarter than me that's a wiz at percentages knows how many partial drains it would take, but he's out travelling the world. Maybe someone else will offer up their knowledge. How far down is the return? I would guess 2 more times max if it's 8 inches or so. Total Guess. :oops:

Yeah, kinda pointless, but it can't hurt. (adding a little more bleach)

Can I make a suggestion? Try shocking to the "normal" shock level, not necessarily Mustard Algae level after you get the CYA down. Just try and see if it responds to normal shock levels. I think it will, but I could be wrong. Frequent, very-high shock levels for prolonged periods can bleach out your liner.

So stick to the regular shock level when the time comes, for a couple of days...see how the pool responds. I'm not convinced that's mustard algae.

I know it's hard, been there, done that....you'll be FINE! :wink:

I think I have already bleached the liner some--but it's not THAT bad--so I will certainly take your advice and use normal shock levels.

I measured--and we drained 12 inches last night--and we are draining another 12 inches now. I am about to start filling it--it's nearly done!

I don't mind doing a bunch of partial drains--it's just that I am really impatient! LOL! :wink:

Update!!!

The 2nd drain is complete and pool is full. Water is blue now and is more clear--deep end is still cloudy though.

Water has been circulating for 6 hours now.

My fiance and I did the CYA test together..I have poorer eyesight and came up with 70--he got 60. So it came down! YAY!!!! :mrgreen:

I did a quick pH and Clorine test using the Taylor basic kit...
Our Chlorine is about 2ppm
Our pH is 7.5

Here is my plan:
Tonight, after the sun is down, test for exact Free Chlorine. Add enough bleach to get to 8 ppm. Wait 30 minutes, and do another FC test.

Wake up before sun comes up (around 6am) and do another FC test--see how much was lost over night. If over 1ppm was lost--shock pool to 28ppm.

My pH is normal I think. Should I also do an alkalinity test? Or can I wait until I get the Chlorine levels/algae problem dealth with?

Thanks for your help everyone!! :cheers:

Rubygrrl said:
Add enough bleach to get to 8 ppm. Wait 30 minutes, and do another FC test.

Wake up before sun comes up (around 6am) and do another FC test--see how much was lost over night. If over 1ppm was lost--shock pool to 28ppm.

My pH is normal I think. Should I also do an alkalinity test?

You have the procedure correct (sorry Dave, you missed something? :wink: She said she would wait 30 minutes and test again.)

You should shock tonight. 8 is NOT high enough. A) your FC was too low at 6pm. B) you still have cloudy water, your FC has never held, there is no reason to wait to shock till tomorrow. Do it tonight, assuming you have enough bleach on hand.

Okay so I ran a full set of tests at about 10:30pm...here were my results:

FC - 1.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 2.0
Alk - 100
pH - 7.5
CYA - I didn't run this test again (low on reagent)--but earlier I got 70, fiance got 60--we used 70 just in case.

Because our pool is still cloudy--I added 1154 oz of 6% bleach to bring the FC up to 28 (shock level for CYA of 70).

Edit to add chlorine levels as of 12:38am:
FC - 31.5

I will test again around 6 am to see how much was lost overnight.

My only questions are:

1. If the FC falls below my recommended shock level--I know I keep on adding more bleach to keep it at 28. Do I have to wait for the sun to go down (sorry if this is a stupid question) or do I go ahead and add it during the day?
2. How do I know when to decrease the FC to normal levels. I know I have to wait until: 1. CC is 0.5 or below 2. water sparkles and 3. FC loss is less than 1 overnight---BUT---do I have to meet all three of these requirements or just one--I assume all 3 based on what I have read in pool school.

Thanks again!

I have a feeling I am on my way to a sparkling pool! :whoot:

1. Add it during the day as well. You have enough CYA in your pool to protect the FC from the sun so add it as often as you can.

2. All three. You will likely meet them more or less at the same time. Probably very clear water first but they are co-related (is that a word?) so they won't be days apart. The emphasis is to keep your FC up (just like you are doing) until your pool is completely free of all the contaminants that caused the issues in the first place.

Then, you'll let the FC drop to normal levels and keep it there the rest of the summer....a troublefreepool.

Awesome--thanks so much Dave!

I just tested my FC and it was 29.0 (it dropped 2.5 overnight)...

I'm not going to add any bleach now, since my target shock level is 28--but I probably will later this morning, because I am sur it will drop more as the day goes on.

Do you think if I test every 3 hours today that will be often enough? Or is that too much. I don't mind testing a lot, but I'm afraid I am going to run out of reagent. I purchased a ton of CYA reagent.

I need to go ahead and order some more chlorine reagent now I suppose.

Hopefully I will have enough to get me through the weekend.

Thanks!

Ther is no need to test anything but the chlorine. All the other parameters will remain stable enough that they don't require testing.

With your CYA level and your FC loss slowing, I would suggest testing three times daily. You seem to be getting pretty close to clearing your pool and you don't have to be quite so diligent as you get closer.

Test your FC in the morning, record it, and add enough chlorine to bring you back up to 28ppm. Next, test sometime in the late afternoon and, again, bring it back to 28ppm.

Then, test once more before you go to bed but don't add anything. The difference between this last test and your next morning's test will give you an overnite FC loss test automatically.

It really sounds like you are about to get a crystal clear pool. Nice work! :lol:

We all love picture so I hope you'll post one up when it's sparkling

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Dave and Frusterated Pool Mom!

I tested my FC at 6am and it was at 29 (my target shock level is 28) so I left it alone.

I retested my FC now (about 11:30am) and it feel down to 22.5. I added 256 oz (recommended was 240) of 6% bleach and will retest about 4pm.

Pool is looking more clear...that's got to be a good sign! :whoot:

Okay I am a little worried.

I went out and noticed some more "sand" in the bottom of the pool. When I brush the "sand" up it creates a yellowish cloud in the pool.

If I have mustard algae--will my current shock level (28) kill it, or should I shock to a higher number.

I just want to hit this stuff hard!!!

When I brush the "sand" up it creates a yellowish cloud in the pool.
Not to worry. I see that in my pool from time to time. I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is more algae being killed and the "dead bodies" seem to sink to the bottom. Keep your FC up just like you have been and brush that stuff often. It'll get into suspension and your filter will pick it up. Alternatively, you could vacuum it (very slowly) into your filter.

How's the psi on your filter. Is it rising?

Okay thanks!

I'm glad you asked about our filter.

The pressure honestly has not risen much at all. It reads 12 psi, and that is the normal pressure for it. We have a huge sand filter though--a Triton. It is leaking water from the bottom (not really bad--I will post a photo below). I had a pool tech come by (through my home warranty) and look at it and he said the water loss was due to condensation. I have a hard time believing that, but he said not to worry about it.

I have a home warranty that covers my filter, pump, etc.

Here are a couple photos of the leak:
[attachment=2:3pqr1poo]leak 1.jpg[/attachment:3pqr1poo]

[attachment=1:3pqr1poo]leak 2.jpg[/attachment:3pqr1poo]

I know the filter is working, because normally when we backwash the water in the view glass looks really dirty...but this leak worries me.

Here is one photo to show how the water is clearing (compared to my photos earlier)--this is the deep end:
[attachment=0:3pqr1poo]DSCN0449.jpg[/attachment:3pqr1poo]

Attachments

• leak 1.jpg
    leak 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 139
  • leak 2.jpg
    leak 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0449.jpg
    DSCN0449.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 141
I have never heard of a sand filter having condensation like that and find it hard to beleive what he told you. I have a sand filter and its plastic on the outside. Its a Hayward 310S and has 500 lbs of sand in it. When I redid the sand this year I inspected it for any cracks and there was nothing. The water inside the filter keeps the filter cool enough that I cant beleive its condensation. Is your filter plastic? If its metal, then maybe I could beleive it?

I am sure the experienced gurus on here will clarify!

Hope you get it fixed!

Condensation forms when the filter is cold enough to be below the dew point. This is most common at night, when it is fairly humid and/or when the pool water is much cooler than the surroundings. If you are getting enough condensation to make a puddle like that, which is possible, I would expect the entire outside surface of filter to be quite wet first thing in the morning.

Those of us that live in the muggy Southeast are familiar with condensation on a filter....even fibreglas.

As the colder pool water cools the surface of the filter, the muggy humid air microscopically surrounding the filter cools down and the satuation point is quickly reached....voila! visible moisture. Just like a glass of ice water "sweats" as my Mom used to say.

After all that, that is a significant puddle. As soon as the humidity in your atmosphere lowers, that process should quickly stop. If it doesn't, you have a leak.

Thank you all for your help regarding the sand filter "puddle."

Sadly, the puddle is there all day long--day AND night.

I think I am going to call my home warranty (AHS) back and let them know about the problem.

I will try to see if it is wet tomorrow morning.

So, here is the status of the pool now.

I kept the pool at about 28ppm as much as I could all day yesterday. I recorded the chlorine level at about 9:30pm (when sun went down) at 22ppm.

I was going to wake up at 6am (before sun) to test the free chlorine---but I had a few too many :cheers: :oops: :lol: :hammer: and couldn't force myself out of bed this morning.

SOOOO--I am keepng my pool shocked to 28ppm and repeating what I did yesterday..I want to make sure I have no CC and that I don't lose over 1ppm overnight...then I think I can celebrate..because

the pool is CLEAR! :party:

I will post some photos later!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.