Drain and refill in progress - fill water results!

bschnur

Gold Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
SO...Last year I was instructed to do a total drain (almost) and refill because my CYA level was around 225. Due to some pool party's and our son being born in mid July, I/we never got around to it. We opened the pool this past Saturday and tonight we started the drain/refill with the "large tarp" method. I'm excited to adopt the TFPC lifestyle, so here are the numbers for the fill water from the hose! I'd love some direction now that I am a part of the family!

FC: 1.2ppm
CC: .2 ppm
PH: over 8 (4 drops took it down to 7.4)
TA: 90
CH: 100
CYA: 0

I think the pool will be ready for chemicals by the weekend...draining goes fast - filling does not.

Thanks for the help in advance! Y'all are awesome!

First I want to say... what a cute baby!!!! <3 <3 <3 !!

WOW! You're one of the few that are confident enough to take on that tarp challenge! I love it. I hope you got some pictures of it???

So for your fill water you can see you'll need to bring your FC up, and your pH down. Get some bleach in there as soon as possible, even while filling, just to be safe.

Your TA is fine as is your calcium (vinyl pools don't need calcium) but your water is not so "hard" that is should be any problem for you.

Before you go adding any CYA, test the refilled and well mixed pool to take note of the cya in any remaining water that remained in the pool. Then take it up to 30ppm at first and it can be tweaked later depending on your climate conditions and how you are chlorinating the pool.

Remember PoolMath will help you with quantities of chemicals.

Sounds like you've got it all in hand...AND an adorable son :) Lucky You!! Fun Summer Days Ahead!!!

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for your reply! After submitting those numbers yesterday I realized they're good to have, but ultimately I will want to get the water mixed together to see what the numbers look like and seriously move forward from there.

At this point I don't have any pictures :(. We were in a scramble to get things taken care of last night when we put our son Zeke to bed, so I didn't even think to take photos until it was dark! I'll try to snag some pictures later this evening when I get home from work.

In the next few days I will update this thread with the current numbers once the two sources of water have been mixed!

Thanks again for your help! Zeke LOVES to swim, so I'm even more focused on getting our water balanced for his sake. Funny how things 'change' when a little one comes along :D

CYA is unknown at this point...Last year at the beginning of the season when I started testing my water is was around 225, if not higher. I continued treating the pool the way I had been (3 inch pucks, mineral pack, etc) - so I'd imagine it was even higher.

Great news...It seems as if the draining is complete. The hoses will run over night and we should be able to remove the tarp completely sometime tomorrow or Saturday depending on time and weather! I'll let the water mix together and run some numbers and report back.

Here are a few picture so y'all can see what I did!

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4246.jpg
    IMG_4246.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 293
Great news...It seems as if the draining is complete. The hoses will run over night and we should be able to remove the tarp completely sometime tomorrow or Saturday depending on time and weather! I'll let the water mix together and run some numbers and report back.

Here are a few picture so y'all can see what I did!
I'm going to bookmark this one. It's a great visual of the tarp method.

As of this morning I needed about another 4 hrs of filling after a full night of running the water. I'm at work but my wife will cut off the water soon and when I get home my plan is to take the tarp out and get the water circulating. Since I'll be using 80-90% new water from the hose, should I SLAM the pool or just plan to balance it? Before the drain, the water was relatively clear, just a bit cloudy, so no obvious signs of algae but I know that doesn't mean algae isn't lurking in there, although I've never had a problem with algae.

I know I'll need to wait an hour or so for the new water to mix with the old in order to get a decent CYA reading, and then from there I will know what I'm working with regarding CYA and FC. Just asking so I can plan accordingly and not feel the need to come back to the forum in the middle of working on the pool!

Any thoughts from the pro's out there is appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So today was my day to get everything in order, good news, things look great!

FC, and CYA were both 0
PH was 8 or above

I'm targeting 30 CYA, so I currently have some socks with CYA in front of the jets, around 4lbs - according to PoolMath I'll need just over 5lbs, but I only bought a 4lb bucket to start with. I added a jug of 10% bleach which brought the FC up to 6 ppm - CC is at .2. I also added around 2ish lbs of Dry Acid which brought the PH down to 7.4 - so things are right where they should be!

Since the CYA won't register for a bit, I'll keep an eye on the FC level and make sure things aren't changing. The pool is clear as can be which is to be expected with a full drain I guess!

Looks like you have everything covered. One thing you may want to do is test for FC more frequently until your CYA is dissolved. You might lose FC fast until then, so checking more will help prevent you from dipping too low

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.