Semmes, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Should I perform an ascorbic acid treatment?

Bought this house with a pool about 18 months ago. Pool was a total wreck at the time of purchase but got it straightened out after a couple of months using TFP methodology. All has been great except a general brown color of the plaster and some darker streaks. After a year of brushing I have decided that brushing alone is not going to cure this. Dropped a vitamin C tablet on the top step last night. Today the area around where the tablet was placed looks great. See photo, the tablet was placed at about 5 o'clock on the top step
My question, should I start an ascorbic acid treatment? If so what are the steps involved?

Latest test results
FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.5
CH 300
CYA 30
TA 70
Water temp 72 deg

IMG_0544.jpg

Re: Should I perform an ascorbic acid treatment?

Ordered all of the goodies yesterday. I will post progress and results once I get started.
FYI - Duda Energy had the best price I could find on Ascorbic Acid. $36.99 / 5lb Bag with free shipping

Re: Should I perform an ascorbic acid treatment?

I started the AA treatment last night. FC was near 0, brought PH to 7.0, Removed the filter, added the Polyquat, and added AA in 1 lb increments every 1/2 hour & stopped at 4 lbs. A quick look this morning shows that much of the staining is lifting but I do still have some dark spots remaining. The spots that I tested with vitamin C tablets are still whiter than the rest of the pool.

Do I just continue to run the pump 24/7 until all staining is gone? Is there a limit to how long I should run the AA treatment?

I will check PH when I get home tonight to ensure it remains at the 7.0 target. Should I perform any other testing during this process? Should I brush during this?

Progress photos included but it is difficult to get the photos to accurately show what I see.

Drain area before treatment

Drain Area before treatment.jpg

Drain Area after 12 hrs.
Drain Area after 12 hrs.jpg

Steps before treatment
Steps before treatment.jpg

Steps after 12 hrs.
Steps after 12 hrs.jpg

Starting Ascorbic Acid Treatment

I started the AA treatment last night. FC was near 0, brought PH to 7.0, Removed the filter, added the Polyquat, and added AA in 1 lb increments every 1/2 hour & stopped at 4 lbs. A quick look this morning shows that much of the staining is lifting but I do still have some dark spots remaining. The spots that I tested with vitamin C tablets are still whiter than the rest of the pool.

Do I just continue to run the pump 24/7 until all staining is gone? Is there a limit to how long I should run the AA treatment?

I will check PH when I get home tonight to ensure it remains at the 7.0 target. Should I perform any other testing during this process? Should I brush during this?

Progress photos included but it is difficult to get the photos to accurately show what I see.

Drain area before treatment

attachment.php

Drain Area after 12 hrs.
attachment.php

Steps before treatment
attachment.php

Steps after 12 hrs.
attachment.php

Re: Starting Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Now 36 hours into the AA treatment. The overall look of the pool has improved greatly but I do still have some stains that have not been removed.
My question is... should I wait until all stains are gone before adding sequestrant?

From the AA treatment article in Pool School located here, Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

If the stain is not all gone, leave the filter in circulate and add more ascorbic acid close to where you still see stain. Leave it in circulate until all of the stain is gone. (add more ascorbic acid if it circulates for 1/2 hour and there is still stain)
When the stain is gone, add enough sequestering agent for the volume of your pool - more is better than not enough.
Put the filter back on filter and leave it on 24/7.

I read somewhere not to exceed 2 lbs of AA per 10,000 gal. I am already slightly over that level. Will it be OK to add more?

I am not aware of any guideline on maximum dose or not to exceed 2lbs per 10k gallons. I would add more until the stains are lifted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Had to add an add 4 more pound of AA to get the stains to lift. I have re-installed the filter and added Jack's pink per instructions. The water is pretty cloudy at this point. Is my next step to wait 24 hrs & start balancing, raising TA & PH 1st?

15, Pretty dark at 1 drop but turns dark red instantly at 2 drops so i interpret that as 15

Screenshot of test results

IMG_0619.jpg

OK, here is my current status. Added baking soda to bring TA up to 70.
Sodium carbonate to tweak PH up to 7.0
Added CYA to bring CYA up to 40.
Added 60 oz chlorine to start the attempt to sneak up on FC of 3.
Pool looks good but the water is cloudy/milky

Thank you for sharing the process. I have some iron stains in my pool and have been reading about the AA treatment...

Hope your pool clears soon. :)

OK, here is my current status. Added baking soda to bring TA up to 70.
Sodium carbonate to tweak PH up to 7.0
Added CYA to bring CYA up to 40.
Added 60 oz chlorine to start the attempt to sneak up on FC of 3.
Pool looks good but the water is cloudy/milky

That is all good. Recheck pH an hour or two after the TA gets to 70 to make sure the pH didn't rise too much, above 7.2. Chlorine will slowly clear the pool.

That is all good. Recheck pH an hour or two after the TA gets to 70 to make sure the pH didn't rise too much, above 7.2. Chlorine will slowly clear the pool.

Thanks, I am currently running a full test hourly & tweaking as needed.
How long can I expect before the water clears?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.