Algae? from automatic pool cover

NewSue

Aug 30, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,
We have an automatic retractable pool cover (2 years old) and when the pool water is warm from heating it or just from the summertime hot climate, we have noticed that when we retract the cover there is an oily looking film on the surface of the water. I can also smell a moldy smell when we have the cover closed and see some moldy looking areas on the top surface of the cover. Last summer when this first happened we scrubbed the surface of the cover with Tilex mold and mildew remover and rinsed it off with water so it didn't get in the pool water. We also put a few drops of Dawn dishwashing soap in the basket that goes back to the filter. The company that installed the cover said the film on the surface of the water is pink algae and this is a common occurance with the pool covers when the water is warm. I might not have spent the money to get the cover if I had known this was going to happen! But the cover does prevent a lot of water evaporation, keeps the heat in, and keeps debris out of the pool, and is safer for kids and pets.

The only problem is the floating surface gunk when I retract the cover. Is there any product that I can use to skim the surface manually to soak up the oily residue? The regular pool net has pores too large, and I am not sure if a nylon would even work as this is not really particulate (although I haven't tried it). I am thinking of something absorbant like a sponge or towel that can soak up the oily areas. It almost looks like soap is on the surface of the pool (it is not over the whole pool, mainly near where the cover rolls up on one end). Any ideas or suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

As far as addressing the algae/mold, proper chlorine levels are key regardless of cover. Can you post a complete set of recent test results?

...... We also put a few drops of Dawn dishwashing soap in the basket that goes back to the filter.........

.........It almost looks like soap is on the surface of the pool........
Are you saying you put dishwashing detergent into your skimmer basket?

You can use 'Pig Mats' ( https://www.amazon.com/New-Pig-2520...F8&qid=1495012139&sr=8-2&keywords=new+pig+mat ) to soak up the residue from the surface.

Are you sure that the oily residue is not coming from the cover? Have you lubricated any of the cover's components lately?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.