Pool Pump blew up in my face - Motor Replaced, but does this sound normal?

viking68

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2010
Lake Mary, FL
Pump Noise on Vimeo

Listen to the video at the link above - this pump motor (replaced by Pentair authorized tech) has had this oscillating noise since installed. When installed, barely noticeable. Now - well, listen and let me know what y'all think.

By the way, the "stain" at the junction just to the left of the union, has been "growing" since new. It's not water.

Bad seal alignment by tech?

I once had something similar with a commercial pool I worked on. It was caused by the seal plate not being properly torqued on all screws to the pump's bell end. This in turn caused an imbalance that got worse as some of the screws became even less torqued. If you just had this professionally repaired I would most definitely get them to come back out and fix it. I would also run the pump as little as practical until they can come out.

not good! I would put in a call to the installer and ask for a new person to come look and listen.

Let us know what you find out!

Called installer - not their problem - told me to call Pentair and open a new case. Did. Waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

I once had something similar with a commercial pool I worked on. It was caused by the seal plate not being properly torqued on all screws to the pump's bell end. This in turn caused an imbalance that got worse as some of the screws became even less torqued. If you just had this professionally repaired I would most definitely get them to come back out and fix it. I would also run the pump as little as practical until they can come out.

Going through the warranty replacement queue once again. I'm thinking seal as well due to the mysterious stain (grease?) I'm seeing spread at the pump/motor joint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.