Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump blew up in my face - Motor Replaced, but does this sound normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump blew up in my face - Motor Replaced, but does this sound normal?

Pump Noise on Vimeo

Listen to the video at the link above - this pump motor (replaced by Pentair authorized tech) has had this oscillating noise since installed. When installed, barely noticeable. Now - well, listen and let me know what y'all think.

By the way, the "stain" at the junction just to the left of the union, has been "growing" since new. It's not water.

Bad seal alignment by tech?
    20K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump blew up in my face - Motor Replaced, but does this sound normal?

not good! I would put in a call to the installer and ask for a new person to come look and listen.

Let us know what you find out!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I once had something similar with a commercial pool I worked on. It was caused by the seal plate not being properly torqued on all screws to the pump's bell end. This in turn caused an imbalance that got worse as some of the screws became even less torqued. If you just had this professionally repaired I would most definitely get them to come back out and fix it. I would also run the pump as little as practical until they can come out.
    16' Polygroup Pro-Series AG-5,200 Gal
    Upgraded Hayward Skimmer & Return, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward C1200 Starclear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Rolachem 554120 pH Liquid Acid & ORP Liquid Chlorine Automated Controller System & 2 12 GPD Peristaltic Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    not good! I would put in a call to the installer and ask for a new person to come look and listen.

Let us know what you find out!
    Called installer - not their problem - told me to call Pentair and open a new case. Did. Waiting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KellisEM View Post
    I once had something similar with a commercial pool I worked on. It was caused by the seal plate not being properly torqued on all screws to the pump's bell end. This in turn caused an imbalance that got worse as some of the screws became even less torqued. If you just had this professionally repaired I would most definitely get them to come back out and fix it. I would also run the pump as little as practical until they can come out.
    Going through the warranty replacement queue once again. I'm thinking seal as well due to the mysterious stain (grease?) I'm seeing spread at the pump/motor joint.
    20K gal, IG Free-Form Plaster (1986), 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump, PAC FAB FNS-36 DE Filter, Polaris 280, Screened, Cool Deck.
    Solar Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit