SWAMP!! Cover failed, large tree overhangs

May 16, 2017
Noblesville, IN
We are second year pool owners so still very new at this but I learned a TON from this website/forum last year!

We used a tarp to cover the pool the last two years (there WILL be a safety cover on this next fall/winter) and it failed miserably both years, but especially this year. I've already scooped out two full wheel-barrows of nasty leaves and sticks. I have a leaf gulper on the way to hopefully speed this process. My main questions are: Should I even bother "opening" the pool yet, as in unplugging the returns/skimmer and priming the pump before I remove 95%+ of the organic material? I've read several threads about people struggling to get their pools clear while still scooping out leaves and gunk. Seems like a waste of chlorine and other chemicals to me (I'm still reading up on B/B/B and plan to try this in the future). Or would it be better for me to go ahead and open it, balance the PH, and start adding chlorine to start killing the algae while also continuing to scoop out the organic material? I haven't tested any levels yet so none to post but pool info listed below. Thanks in advance for your input!

In-ground
Vinyl Lined
14 x 28 standard rectangle with 8' deep end
Sand filter
2 returns

It depends. If you get all the gunk out first, then start SLAMming, it will take more total time (clean + SLAM). Additionally, until the water starts to clear you won't even be able to see what debris is left remaining. If you do them simultaneously, it should take less total time, but you will spend more money on Chlorine (maybe a few jugs at best). I guess it depends on whether you'd spend more money or more time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.