Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does everyone use to heat their pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What does everyone use to heat their pool?

I have a huge solar cover that i myself cannot move around so im looking for an alternative, some way to heat the water that i myself can handle.

Do those solar pills and such work? Is there anything cheaper?
    20K gal, 15X30, IG, Plaster, Pentair VF-3050 Intelliflo Pump, Pentair Clean&Clear Cartridge Filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What does everyone use to heat their pool?

No they don't work. Consider a lighter-weight solar cover, or cutting it into sections. IF you do a google search (bottom left corner) for solar covers, there are many articles that discuss this dilemma.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!
    20K gal, 15X30, IG, Plaster, Pentair VF-3050 Intelliflo Pump, Pentair Clean&Clear Cartridge Filter, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

We use the solar sun rings. We don't have a deck on yet and it is really hard to move around a 30ft solar cover so we thought we would try them. They aren't as good as a cover itself, but they do heat our pool and I think they also reduce evaporation. The only pain is bugs and **** get between them and it doesn't skim well. That would be my only complaint.
    Above Ground Pool
    30ft Round X 54"
    Vinyl Liner
    Hayward 2hp EP1550LX Pump
    Hayward Swim Pro Series Sand Filter
    23,797 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried the rings... they suck.. Stick with an actual solor cover
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP.

Give us a little more info about your pool and we can be of more help.

As was suggested above, some covers are lighter than others. You can also use a cover reel. Another option that works better than it sounds is to cut the cover into manageable pieces.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a solar heater mounted on my roof
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Using a solar blanket without a roller type system is very difficult (unless it it cut into small pieces as previously suggested). I purchased a roller when I purchased the solar blanket. The roller has the 3.5" tube (don't get one with the 1.5" tube!). It takes about 1 minute to open the pool (ensuring everything is rolling up nice and smooth). Takes about 2 mintues to close. All of this is with one person. With an extra hand, only about 1/2 of the time as listed above. We LOVE our blanket and reel!

Travis
    Travis & Kathy
    16x32 AGP (extra return outlet installed), Pentair Dynamo Pump (1.5HP, 60+ GPM), Sta-Rite Crystal Flow Sand Filter (300 lb), Clear Diamond Solar Blanket & Reel, Pool-Skim
    Aqua Trol SWG (also controlling the pump), TF Test Kit. (Everything self installed, up and running on 08/02/09)
    Enjoying the TFP site and appreciating the infinite knowledge of it's members... and I'm slowly learning how to maintain our new pool the BBB way!
    Four Winds Spa (love the tub...hate the filtration system). Best water quality in four years using the BBB method

9. Back To Top    #9

My solar cover is 16' wide and gets most of the pool, then I cut a smaller piece to cover the ell. There's no room for a roller. Getting this on and off by hand is tedious but not painful. When it's time to replace it I'm gonna get it 12' wide so I'll have two more similar-sized sections; the 12' wide strips should be easier to manage by hand.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

10. Back To Top    #10

i have a heat pump to heat the water, and a solar cover to keep the heat in and it helps heat the water to.. we love our heat pump, very cheap to run....
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

I like my pool 74°-78°. Don't need no stinkin' heater. Don't want one, or the wimmin would make me use it....
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.