Bands on filter cartridges

praz

May 4, 2017
Surprise, AZ
Hello All,

I have a good 50% of the bands coming off/already off of my filter cartridges. If it is relevant, I have a Hayward Swimclear C4025 Cartridge Filter with 4 large cartridges. I read on a thread here about someone who was repairing/re-gluing the bands with a hot glue gun while the cartridge was out for cleaning, and he was generally having good success. I did find this on the internet, but without any real supporting evidence: "Those support bands, typically included on cartridges 12 inches and taller, are crucial to maintaining the integrity of the pleats."

So, I guess my questions are:

1) Are these bands important?
2) Can they be restored via tightening and gluing with a hot glue gun, or is the damage done once a band has come loose in the first place?
3) If the band is missing entirely, can it (should it?) be replaced with the bands that usually hold shipping palettes together (seems to be the same material)?
4) I don't have a glue gun (though I know they are inexpensive) and I don't have any replacement bands just sitting around the house. Should I not worry about the bands or should I make a concerted effort to fix/replace them?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

- Paul

When I had a cartridge filter I had two sets so I could switch them in and out. Over time the bands gave way but I kept on using them. It was not until the pleats started coming apart from the top/bottom flat part that I needed to replace them. So long as there are no holes I think you are good to go!

Kim:kim:

Some of mine came off after the first year on my Sta-rite filter. I'm pretty sure the only reason they are there is for during the manufacturing process to keep the pleats in place prior to placing the top and bottom of the filter.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. For what it is worth, it does seem to be easier to clean the pleats and get the junk out from between them when the bands have broken...but I was wondering if, conversely, that would allow more "crud" to escape back into the pool during normal operation, since it doesn't get trapped as securely in the folds of the pleats.

Regardless, I've got enough other things to worry about right now, so I'll be leaving the bands as they are - on or falling off or gone.

Thanks again!

- Paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.