barrca

May 15, 2017
Owasso, OK
Hello everyone,

My name is Cassie. I live in northeastern Oklahoma. We bought a house a year and a half ago that has an inground pool. We did not know it had a severe leak. So, last summer, it took us a while to figure out how to fix the major leak - we resurfaced the steps - then we turned on the pump to start a cleaning process. That didn't work. Water was going out of the wrong pipe and we were stuck. We didn't know how to fix it, it was already September, so we decided to cover the pool with the winter chemicals in it and called it done. Well, our cover didn't work out so well and we peeled it back a week ago. Our pool is nearly black and disgusting. We have already used 14 bottles of bleach in an effort to see what we're working against. There is a good 2" or so layer of leaves, much, dead frogs, whatever, at the bottom that smells like straight sewage. We tried to vacuum it out with the pipes disconnected from the filter so as to not clog it but the pump kept clogging. So, we're newbies to the whole pool thing. We know how to keep it up if the filter and pump are working and it's not filthy. But, with the amount of stuff on the bottom, we're kind of stuck with knowing what to do. I'm hoping to learn all kinds of things on here.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Here's a video showing how to use a leaf rake, which sounds like what you need. You can push it along the bottom (without being able to see the bottom) and when you pull back, the net swings under the frame and the gunk stays in the net. You can push it around on the bottom several times depending how much gunk it's picking up. The more gunk you can remove, the quicker your clean-up is going to go. Good luck with it. You'll love the water when you get there :)

How To Scoop/Remove Debris From Bottom Of Swimming Pool - YouTube

We were able to scoop up a ton of debris, two of us with leaf rakes. Took all day but we did it until we weren't getting hardly anything at any spot in the pool. We started the filter and had it going. We had problems with it last year so we let it run during dinner and it ran fine. This morning, I went out and turned it on and one of the pipes blew. Completely snapped in half, spraying water everywhere. So we are yet again, at a standstill.

Awe that's a shame. Maybe some frost damage over winter.

You can add some bleach to stop it from getting any worse, and stir it around with the rakes or a brush.

We're going to need some information about your pool, and we use the signature feature for that. There's a link in my signature "read before posting" which includes the instructions for filling out your signature. If you don't know all the details, that's fine, but just add what you can. Thanks :)