Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air leak with vacuuming??

1. Back To Top    #1

Air leak with vacuuming??

No sure what the problem is, but each time I try to vacuum, I will get a good seal at the skimmer, but then, it seems there's little suction, and shortly after I've attached the hose to the skimmer, I will hear a louder noise coming from the pump, then bursts of water/air will shoot out from the jet. I have backwashed, rinsed, made sure hose is clear. We just replaced the filter head and replumbed this season. I don't notice any louder sounds when the pool is just on filter. Any ideas why I'm not getting good suction, and where I might be drawing in air if thats the problem? Thanks!
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air leak with vacuuming??

Is the vacuum hose being attached directly to the skimmer outlet in the bottom of the skimmer or with a skimmer plate attachment? Are you making sure to fill the vacuum hose with as much water as possible before attaching to skimmer? Inspect the vacuum hose for leak in the hose and at each of the end fittings.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

i know i always fill my vac hose with water first with the return jet before i attach to the skimmer plate.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 16" pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

4. Back To Top    #4

Most vacuum hoses will also fit snugly directly into the bottom of the skimmer outlet. Give that a try if it fits well. Eliminates one variable if possible.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure the end of the hose that rotates in attached to the vacuum, not the skimmer plate.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

6. Back To Top    #6

I just had to replace my vacuum hose. Found a small crack. After you fill with water, attach to skimmer you can pull some of the hose out of the water and see if you have a small leak / crack.
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada

7. Back To Top    #7

My vacuum hose is directional so 1 end is designed to attach to the vacuum head and is marked as such.

Above Ground 30' x 52" AquaLeader Blues pool
    Pentair Dynamo 120v 1.5hp pump w/Sand Dollar 40 filter
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool installed and filled 6/27/14