Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No pH

1. Back To Top    #1

No pH

I am so confused. I just don't know where to start. Pool has iron stains and I have purchased ascorbic acid powder to treat along with a sequestering agent. I began checking water chemicals with Taylor Kit 2006. But didn't get very far. FC=11.5 and the pH was off chart with yellow colored water which 30 drops of the test agent did not change at all so I quit!

Memorial Day weekend is when all the children and grands will be here to swim. I need to get this pool in shape before then.
    Our poor is an in-ground, 18 x 36 ft., vinyl liner, chlorine pool, Hayward sand filter, Polaris vacuum. It was built in 2004; we put in a new liner in 2011. Sand has been replaced once.
    We do not close the pool in winter. We run pump year round and keep it going throughout the year.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: No pH

What is your TA?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    What is your TA?
    I didn't get that far. I will try to finish the analysis tonight.
    Our poor is an in-ground, 18 x 36 ft., vinyl liner, chlorine pool, Hayward sand filter, Polaris vacuum. It was built in 2004; we put in a new liner in 2011. Sand has been replaced once.
    We do not close the pool in winter. We run pump year round and keep it going throughout the year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Analysis tonight:
    FC = 8
    CC = ?? couldn't get reading; sample did not turn pink after adding 5 drops of R0003
    pH = still off chart yellow; took 34 drops of R0006 in Base Demand Test to reach 7.0 color
    TA = 25
    CYA = 7.0

I did add 13 lbs soda tonight before testing.

5. Back To Top    #5

How long did you run the pump after adding the baking soda before testing TA? Test TA again in 30 minutes or so and add enough baking soda to raise TA to 60.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

1 hour

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, add more.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Added another 13 lbs. last night.
    This morning TA = 75.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, good. Now, what is the pH?
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry. I've been out of town.
    Readings now:
    FC = .6
    Cc= .2
    pH = 7
    TA= 90
    CYA = 7

Had little staining so I've treated with ascorbic acid. Waiting to add sequestrant. Then what??

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool was cloudy. Husband tried to vacuum and lost 6 inches of water; thus, had to add water. Pool began looking a tad green or teal. Shocked with 3 pounds shock last night. This morning FC = 1 but CYA is 140!!!! Grands are here to swim!

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't use "shock" or any other solid or powder form of chlorine, they add CYA to your pool. Only use unscented bleach or chlorine, they do not increase you CYA. The correct way to get rid of algae is to SLAM the pool. You will need to add chlorine to bring you FC up.

Well water or city water?
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

CYA went from 7 to 140? Neither of those numbers are on the CYA view tube, how are you measuring it?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, TFP has fantastic guidelines and calculators and everything available to keep situations like this from ever happening in the first place. It is, however, up to each person to decide whether to follow any of it. Your pool turned cloudy because the FC was too low for the CYA, nothing unusual about that. Unfortunately there is not much you can do now that can get your pool in swimming condition for the weekend.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

14. Back To Top    #14

It is city water but full of iron. Ascorbic acid arrived today.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I know y'all say TFP is easy but it is not for the amateur. I have been working on this pool for a month and I still can't get it right. I will say I was not reading the CYA levels correctly, but it took me this long to figure that out. So the 7 level for CYA was not right to begin with.
    Took reading this afternoon of FC = 2 and CC = .4? Thank you for an help.

15. Back To Top    #15

There is definitely a learning curve at first. Hang in there, it gets easier. Way easier.
    TFP Moderator