No pH

Mme

May 21, 2016
Saltillo, MS
I am so confused. I just don't know where to start. Pool has iron stains and I have purchased ascorbic acid powder to treat along with a sequestering agent. I began checking water chemicals with Taylor Kit 2006. But didn't get very far. FC=11.5 and the pH was off chart with yellow colored water which 30 drops of the test agent did not change at all so I quit!

Memorial Day weekend is when all the children and grands will be here to swim. I need to get this pool in shape before then.

Analysis tonight:
FC = 8
CC = ?? couldn't get reading; sample did not turn pink after adding 5 drops of R0003
pH = still off chart yellow; took 34 drops of R0006 in Base Demand Test to reach 7.0 color
TA = 25
CYA = 7.0

I did add 13 lbs soda tonight before testing.

How long did you run the pump after adding the baking soda before testing TA? Test TA again in 30 minutes or so and add enough baking soda to raise TA to 60.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool was cloudy. Husband tried to vacuum and lost 6 inches of water; thus, had to add water. Pool began looking a tad green or teal. Shocked with 3 pounds shock last night. This morning FC = 1 but CYA is 140!!!! Grands are here to swim!

Don't use "shock" or any other solid or powder form of chlorine, they add CYA to your pool. Only use unscented bleach or chlorine, they do not increase you CYA. The correct way to get rid of algae is to SLAM the pool. You will need to add chlorine to bring you FC up.

Well water or city water?

CYA went from 7 to 140? Neither of those numbers are on the CYA view tube, how are you measuring it?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, TFP has fantastic guidelines and calculators and everything available to keep situations like this from ever happening in the first place. It is, however, up to each person to decide whether to follow any of it. Your pool turned cloudy because the FC was too low for the CYA, nothing unusual about that. Unfortunately there is not much you can do now that can get your pool in swimming condition for the weekend.

It is city water but full of iron. Ascorbic acid arrived today.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I know y'all say TFP is easy but it is not for the amateur. I have been working on this pool for a month and I still can't get it right. I will say I was not reading the CYA levels correctly, but it took me this long to figure that out. So the 7 level for CYA was not right to begin with.
Took reading this afternoon of FC = 2 and CC = .4? Thank you for an help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.