Is reclaimed water during filter-cartridge rinsing okay for plants and trees?

Dec 13, 2015
Surprise, AZ
As to not waste hose-water while rinsing pleated filter cartridges, can it be collected and then given to plants, trees, lawns, etc.? I ask to seek clarification, as it's not pool water being used for rinsing, and therefore it's not pool water to be given to plants. A similar question was asked back in 2008, but the OP could have meant back-washing a sand/DE filter, which in that case, would be pool water.

The rinse-water is brown, mostly caused by sediment from airborne dust. However, are other chemicals and salts present on the cartridges that could be potentially harmful to plants? I use the BBB method, so would any precipitates be present on the cartridge and therefore rinsed off?

Thanks!

The only contaminants on your filter should be particles that were filtered out of your pool such as dirt, dust, microorganisms, pollen etc. I'd say you're perfectly fine using the rinse water to water plants. I've "watered" my yard with backwash pool water with 3-5 ppm FC, CYA, etc and no ill effects. This rinse water would be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.