Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump taking a long time to begin circulating water

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump taking a long time to begin circulating water

Recently I noticed my pump taking a lot longer to begin actually circulating the water. It starts at high speed like normal but it seems to have trouble getting primed. Sometimes it doesn't start circulating water at all and I have to shut it down and wait for a while to start it up again. One more note: this happens most often after I clean the pump's strainer basket. Any wisdom is appreciated.
    Built April 2013, 11k gal, IG Pebble, Hayward EcoStar SP3400SVP pump, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter (Model C4030 425 sq ft) 150 GPM, Paramount ClearO3 Ozone purifier,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump taking a long time to begin circulating water

S,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pump priming issues..

Most all priming issue are related to the O-Ring under the pump lid.

If this seal is not perfect, air will leak in keeping the pump from priming.

I suggest you inspect the O-ring for any damage. If none, coat it with pool-lube and try it again.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump taking a long time to begin circulating water

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a try.
    Built April 2013, 11k gal, IG Pebble, Hayward EcoStar SP3400SVP pump, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter (Model C4030 425 sq ft) 150 GPM, Paramount ClearO3 Ozone purifier,