tri sodium phosphate question

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
tri sodium phosphate, is this the stuff I would use to clean the pleated filters on my Dolphin vacuum? The packaging at Lowes says this is for cleaning of decks and vinyl siding. Just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff?? Thanks!

Yep. Just mix it at the rate on the side of the box. It's usually about 1/4 cup per gallon of water or so. For organic fouling that may have left stains, you can also add about 1 pint of bleach per gallon of water. Best method is to get a plastic garbage can line it with a thick outdoor trash bag and then mix up the solution in that. Then submerge the filters in the can. Depending on what might be on the filter, you may have to soak it for a while. After soaking, pull the filter and rinse it well with the hose. Careful with the backsplash and wear eye protection and old clothes. The used solution can just be dumped in an area of the yard no one cares about...I wouldn't dump it out on the lawn or else you'll kill the grass. It can down the drain too but it's usually too difficult to pour from a can like that.

Thanks for the quick reply, Matt. Good advice, but my filters (4) are only about 11x4"s, so do I need to go to that much extremes? I clean my filters as soon as the vac comes out of the pool, they are just getting a brown stained look to them, and I would like to catch it before it gets worse. Again.......thanks!!

Whatever works best. Usually you'll need to soak the filters for a while, so whatever container you have that works is best. The cartridges inside my DE filter are about 36" tall by 4" in diameter, so a trash can method works best for my tall filters.

Just note - TSP and aluminum is a bad combo! The TSP is caustic and will pit and corrode any kind of aluminum....so dispose of it safely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.