total newb, don't know where to start with my TF-100

I'd use DE at the very end when the algae is dead and you want to get a final polish on the water. Think of it as 300 grit vs 2000 grit sandpaper. :)

Haha got it, cool, thanks! What happens to the DE later on? Does it eventually get washed out after a few backwashes?

Fingaling said:
That little extra FC won't hurt. Your chlorine is probably just a little stronger than the label says it is.

You'll want to test often when you're that green as your chlorine will quickly get used up killing algae. You need to make sure to don't drop below your minimum shock level.

Thanks, I hoped/guessed the higher FC won't be too bad. Whew. I've been checking it every couple of hours. Time for bed soon though! I checked the FC about 2 hrs ago and it was down to 21. The pool calc said to add a half gallon + 1 cup of bleach, but I only added a half gallon to make it easier, and my FC is up to 31 again (instead of 24). Hah. I wonder if my pool size is off or yeah maybe the bleach (well, actually "chlorinating liquid") is actually stronger than it says. Oh well!

End of day 1:

1QFXY0E.jpg

In a sand filter the DE will pretty much disappear on a single backwash. You have to replace it each time. Just keep a close eye on pressure because it can shoot up on you! I find it satisfying, knowing it's cleaning junk out that hairnets and sand never would have.

Day 2: An Improvement!

Had to do errands all day today and my FC was 24.5 when I left (target is 24) so rather than have potentially dip a good amount below 24 I splashed about a 1/4 gallon of my 10% liquid chlorine in there, and I think it worked, because when I got home it was at 23.5! So I just added a couple more cups and will test again in a couple of hours.

One thing I noticed is you definitely gotta brush everything down even if you don't visibly think you have to! Things are looking pretty cloudy and blue, but even in the non-green cloudy parts I still get the little "green puff cloud" that shows up once I start brushing. And even if it's cloudy, brush anyway and just kinda go by the "feel" of the pool floor. Pushing away seems to give a more powerful brush than pulling back.

EqYYpMj.jpg

@drharris thanks for the info on the DE, may give that a shot toward the end!

Wow. That's great for less than a day of work. From swampy green to seeing the bottom!

Thanks, well I couldn't quite see it yet but almost! Edit: to be clear, by "bottom" I mean the shallow end bottom. :D

General Update: I just checked my FC and it's still at 24.5. It was 24.5 at dinner (about 5 hrs ago!) I was going to add a bit of bleach after dinner just to maintain the FC above 24, but I didn't because it started to rain... and it's still at 24.5! I think that's a good sign, right?

Forgot to post this earlier: End of day 3: We've hit shallow-end bottom!

61Ssucy.jpg

zWVi3LG.jpg

Almost there!

For the black-looking algae on the floor of the pool, is it better to vacuum or brush that up? Seems like they'd have the same end result right? (Sucked through pump, into the filter).

Looking better! You have a good chance to be ready for the big holiday weekend!

Vacuum what black stuff you can, then brush to loosen any that's stuck. Why? Because brushing tends to put it in circulation which clouds things. You want to clear it ASAP.

Thanks! Ah I see, okay, got it. Gave it a good vacuum this morning, and it's a bit "blurry" but... I can see my drain!! :eek: Woo!

2 questions for you @Richard320 (or anyone, really.)

1. When I vacuum is it okay if a little bit of air gets into the sand filter while I'm fitting it over the skimmer? I try covering the round disc end of the vacuum hose with my hand while it's full of water, but it seems no matter how quick I am some air always ends up getting in. It still has good suction and everything. I just worry about damaging my brand new sand filter.

2. Is it okay to open the air relief valve while the filter is in full swing, doing its thing? (To try letting air out.)

Thanks again! Almost there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just caught up with this thread, awesome progress so far. Nice to see you following the process so closely. I would guess your pool size calculating may be a bit off based on what you are seeing as an increase in FC compared to the suggested, either that or as mentioned earlier could just be the %. Keep up the fantastic and work and don't let up until you get to the goal, things can regress just as quickly as the progress if you don't stay on top of it, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with you.

Just caught up with this thread, awesome progress so far. Nice to see you following the process so closely. I would guess your pool size calculating may be a bit off based on what you are seeing as an increase in FC compared to the suggested, either that or as mentioned earlier could just be the %. Keep up the fantastic and work and don't let up until you get to the goal, things can regress just as quickly as the progress if you don't stay on top of it, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with you.

Thanks for the encouragement! Much appreciated. I've been checking FC every 3-4 hours. Sometimes when Pool Math says to add 3 cups of 10% bleach I add 4 cups, etc. to really try keeping it above the target FC (24). Seems to be working so far! To actually be able to barely see the brush on the bottom of the deep end while I brush it is pretty neat. :D

Thanks for the encouragement! Much appreciated. I've been checking FC every 3-4 hours. Sometimes when Pool Math says to add 3 cups of 10% bleach I add 4 cups, etc. to really try keeping it above the target FC (24). Seems to be working so far! To actually be able to barely see the brush on the bottom of the deep end while I brush it is pretty neat. :D

I feel you, I think I said something almost exactly like that in my pool thread too.

Don't be afraid to add that DE to the sand filter, I did just recently on mine too. WAIT until you think that water is clear and then add the DE, I didn't see any pressure spikes but I definitely saw a drastic improvement. If you add it earlier in the process, thats when you're going to see the pressure spikes as there are more particles still in the water to be caught. I haven't added any more since then post-backwash as the sand filter is keeping up with things just fine now, but it does help to give the water that final 'polish' and let that TFP sparkle come to life.

I think we have another TFP success story in the making with this one. :cheers:

I feel you, I think I said something almost exactly like that in my pool thread too.

Don't be afraid to add that DE to the sand filter, I did just recently on mine too. WAIT until you think that water is clear and then add the DE, I didn't see any pressure spikes but I definitely saw a drastic improvement. If you add it earlier in the process, thats when you're going to see the pressure spikes as there are more particles still in the water to be caught. I haven't added any more since then post-backwash as the sand filter is keeping up with things just fine now, but it does help to give the water that final 'polish' and let that TFP sparkle come to life.

Haha, cool, I will consider the DE! :)

I think we have another TFP success story in the making with this one. :cheers:

Thanks, hope so! Every morning it gives me something to look forward to at least: "How much more clear will my water be this morning?" :D

Don't do what I did: I approached the pool one day during my first SLAM and my pool water was perfectly sparking clear, but I DIDN'T TAKE A PICTURE AND POST IT!

I was a bad TFP'er. I've learned since. :D

Lol, thank you for the heads up! Not a whole lot of change this am since yesterday... however visibility is creeping down the ramp toward the deep end!

When that moment strikes though and it's looking clear, I shall capture it forever in digital photo form and share it with the world! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.