Stamped Concrete - Sealer Issues Need Advice

May 9, 2013
Winnipeg/Manitoba
Hi I have a 4 year old pool with a Color Stamped concrete pool deck (1200sqft) it was sealed (ConcreTech NatureSeal) after built and then re-sealed again 1 year later. Now its been about 3 years since the last sealing and it was starting to peal and turn grey ish in spots.

I recently pulled out the pressure washer to wash off the deck and the flaking sealer and the next morning ended up with a bunch of streaks from the pressure washer. See Pics

Concrete1.jpg

Concrete2.jpg

I would like to know what the best solution would be to strip the remaining sealer or if that is even necessary, I have been told that by applying new sealer over top it will fix the problem. Not sure about that?

Thanks

I'm guessing the shiny spots are where the sealer is still there? It looks like you had the tip of the pressure washer right on the concrete. Be careful doing that, it is possible to remove the actual concrete with a hi PSI pressure washer.

Personally I would strip the rest of it and reseal the whole thing.

If you can't get all of it off do a test in a lesser noticeable area to see how well the new sealer covers up the old.

I would definitely NOT apply new sealer over old, that's a recipe for disaster. The old sealer needs to be stripped. Contact the sealer manufacturer and ask them what they recommend to strip their sealer as they very likely have other concrete products such as strippers and cleaners. Once you get the concrete clean and free of debris, then you can reseal it.

Also, with respect to a pressure wand, I agree that you need to be careful. Pressure washers can easily damage concrete surfaces. I would suggest you invest in a deck-washing attachment for your pressure cleaner like this one -

Powerhorse Pressure Washer Surface Cleaner 12in. Dia., 3000 PSI, 4.0 GPM | Pressure Washer Surface Cleaners| Northern Tool + Equipment

They diffuse and spread out the water stream a bit and make it safe to use on concrete surfaces.

Concrete sealers are a tricky animal. The conditions to apply them are really hard to have all in place. You'll need to strip off the old sealer, as much as possible and then reapply BUT the reasons the sealer flakes off is due to poor adhesion in those areas. Usually due to too much moisture present in the upper surface. That or it wasn't properly cleaned and primed or prepped to accept the sealer. Having installed concrete landscape edging for years and having to deal with the sealer, I can tell you that sealing really isn't worth the trouble because no matter how much you try, there will always be an area that just won't seem to take and hold the sealer. I know people love the glossy look of it when it's freshly done but you're better off going with a matte finish or a basic water repellent. Concrete sealer, especially the glossy finishes is something that has to be redone every so often. It's not a once and done forget it and never do it again procedure, unfortunately.

Well I have come along way with the slab since my original post. I was able to remove almost 99% of the old sealer by purchasing and using a TURBO NOZZLE attachment for my pressure washer and going very slowly over the entire 1200 sq ft pool deck. The results were excellent and the Turbo Nozzle pealed off the old sealer.

After Cleaning 1.jpg

After Cleaning 2.jpg

What are the recommendations now.

1. Re-Seal using NOX-CRETE Natraseal 30% acylic solvent based Low VOC sealer (Thin coat)
2. Apply a layer of Xylene to freshen the color and leave it.
3. Just leave it raw and naked. It is a little faded in color but it looks very good now after the cleaning and pressure washing and removal of old sealer.

I would love to hear some opinions. Obviously I would like to re-seal to give the concrete that brand-new wet look, but I don't like the idea of having to deal with 'Old Pealing Sealer" again in a few years, as well I don't like the idea of having slippery concrete again. Right now the concrete doesn't wick any water and nothing beads, when it gets wet the water just absorbs into the concrete. It is not slippery but its not new shinny looking either.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks

You have very nice, stamped concrete!
The concrete is absorbing the water as you stated, but if you are in a freeze zone then that water will expand when frozen. It helps to seal concrete, but it only prolongs the life. Stamped concrete should never be hard pressure washed. Better to have a good cleaner and stiff brush.
Solvent based sealers usually last longer, and being outside the fumes aren't as noxious. You can always add a slip-deterrent, such as Shark Grip, to your sealer.

ARRGGGHHH!!!!!!!

I spent the better part of an hour writing a detailed and very informative experience with some wise, and very experience father/son stamped and stained concrete pro's that I watched while they worked on a project. These guys know what they;re doing, and have it down to a science. Know when to use premium products and when to use significantly less products that works as good if not better.

I wrote 6 detailed paragraphs of great information, and when I hit the "submit" button, darn near had a coniption fit when I was greeted with a "Sorry,your not logged in and dont have permission to post'. The worst part is i cut the text from my doc and deleted it before trying to submit my post. Apparently, it looks like my original notes are toast as well..

Absolutely rediculous with the tools available via PHP or vBulletin. Seriously.

You have very nice, stamped concrete!
The concrete is absorbing the water as you stated, but if you are in a freeze zone then that water will expand when frozen. It helps to seal concrete, but it only prolongs the life. Stamped concrete should never be hard pressure washed. Better to have a good cleaner and stiff brush.
Solvent based sealers usually last longer, and being outside the fumes aren't as noxious. You can always add a slip-deterrent, such as Shark Grip, to your sealer.

meowcloud, what solvent based sealers would you recommend and are there pro's/cons for any particular brands?

H&C from Sherwin Williams has great longevity on their solvent, penetrating sealer. I had used H&C before Sherwin Williams bought the company out and it is the same formula. I've used all types of their stains and sealers and all great stuff. Best part, their solvent sealers can use a roller without the 'roller lines' showing up. More control than spraying and it always takes more sealer but that's the point.
Link:
HC® Decorative Concrete Sealer - Sherwin-Williams

My .02 cents worth.

If the OP lives in a strong freeze zone, then sealing is prob mandatory. Which leads me to the point that if you don't have to seal other than for the preservation of the product from deteriorating, I would just do an annual scrubbing w brush and proper cleaning agents. Once you get into the full-blown sealant process, it looks nice for sure, but you've just added another strategic maintenance item to your pool area

Next, when applying any sealant, having the substrate perfectly cleaned and prepped is ALL CRITICAL. It has to be water-based cleaned, then that means it is wet. Needs to fully dry, but then air-borne debris can accumulate. MOST IMPORTANTLY, make sure after the concrete is clean and ready to go, that the sun has not heated up the concrete. If it did, then you can lose critical product to evaporation - ideally, around 70 degrees...plus, make sure it does not rain for 48 hrs. Also, if it's nice when you apply [70 degrees], make sure it doesn't heat up so it will evaporate later. See instructions on temperatures.

To conclude, dressing out any type of stone that is outside, you should only do so when the weather is ideal...this leaves certain times of the year when it is optimal and others when it's a no go or real risky. Also, the labor and prep work is the most costly and time consuming. Therefore, don't apply a cheap product after you have spent all that time [properly] prepping. Also, better products last longer and look better. I have 1300 sq ft of a pecan tumbled travertine. An annual cleaning is the way to go. I do seal the coping and other tops on the spa, scuppers and other, but sealing that much material is just a maintenance game I am not going top pursue.

good luck, tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.