Service mode

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
I've had a pool for 2 years but this seems like a new pool question. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what is the purpose of service mode on a pool pump? Other than preventing me from changing settings on the remote, does it serve any function? I searched this question on line and could not find an answer, presumably because it's such a stupid question it's assumed everyone knows the answer...

I have a Hayward Prologic. For me, Service Mode makes it so the pumps and valves can only be controlled at the main control panel out by the pool. That way, if I am cleaning the filter, someone in the house can't turn the pump on and shoot water all over me. Or, if I am vacuuming the pool, someone can't switch it into spa mode.

That's what I thought...but I was second guessing because the people that opened the pool made a point that they have it on service mode and would come back in a few days to check everything again...like it was doing some sort of diagnostics or something. Oh brother. ?

Jim,

Think of it as a "Manual" mode... nothing will happen unless you specifically tell it to happen.

I think it is called "Service" mode because a pool service tech can then take command of everything from the outside panel. The pool owners does not have to be at home and the tech does not need to use a remote.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's different with pentair eztouch when a intelliflo vs pump is connected. When I put it in service mode the panel does not operate. The programs/schedules are disabled. After a few seconds the controller on the pump can be activated manually. When I asked pentair about this they replied that service mode on the ET is used to disable the panel from accidental operation by their ScreenLogic program, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.