Hard to believe Leslie's can be so far off -

dooger54

Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
With the education I've received on this forum I've taken control of my pool chemistry. Bought the Taylor 2006k kit and love it! But I was in a store right beside Leslie's today so decided to let them test my water to see how close (or far off) they might be. Wow, results below-

Test My results Leslie's
pH 7.4. 7.4. Got that right!
FC. 12.5. 3
CH. 160. 720
CYA. 100. 50
TA. 80. 120
PhospHates. Don't test. 500

I know my numbers are right. I've been regularly testing every day or two for the past two weeks.

And of course they told me I needed to add their Phosfree product to get those really high phosphates down.

And partially drain my pool to get the CH down. Didn't tell them I did a full drain and refill in January. CH hasn't been above 200 since.

AUSpool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Sunshine Coast, Australia.
It's the same here in Aus, I occasionally check on a couple of pools that normally rely on pool shop testing. The worst parameter is salt; one result I've seen was out by 2000ppm, enough to do damage to a SWCG if you were to believe them and add way too much salt. They all use a very fancy meter but unfortunately don't know how to use or calibrate it. CH is another one they always measure too high; they test total hardness but tell their customers they have measured calcium hardness.

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
DFW, TX
We see it time and time again year after year. I wonder how many thousands of posts there are on TFP proving that pool stores and test strips are not accurate. This is why we are so adamant about buying a good test kit and testing your own water. Thanks for helping to show it once again. :)

The pH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm.

dooger54

Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
We see it time and time again year after year. I wonder how many thousands of posts there are on TFP proving that pool stores and test strips are not accurate. This is why we are so adamant about buying a good test kit and testing your own water. Thanks for helping to show it once again. :)

The pH test is not accurate when FC is above 10 ppm.
I'm keeping my FC that high because of my high CYA. I used the Pool Math calculator and it said to keep FC between 11-13.

Didn't know about pH not being accurate at that range. Does it show high or low?