Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for advice on pool configuration

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for advice on pool configuration

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and looking for advice on pool configuration/size. We are pricing out fiberglass pools for an indoor pool. I want to get a size and style that will grow with the family. I'm pretty set on a rectangle shape as we want to get an autocover to help with humidity, etc. The big question is really about depth. Should we go with a relatively shallow pool that can be used more for lounging/games or something that goes 8ft deep for diving/jumping. Two pool installers told us we should go shallow as most folks tend to not want deep pools after a while. Just thought I would throw the question out there to see what advice I can get on the subject. Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for advice on pool configuration

it's really up to you in my opinion. i know my builder was glad we stayed at 6 in the deep end cause he said it is the way most of his builds have been moving over the years. said it will really help to save on heating also. again i this it's just a personal preference. i know i can count on my 1 hand how many times i have dove into a pool since i was a kid. but that's just me.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

3. Back To Top    #3

8 feet is really not even deep enough to dive in ... especially if you were thinking of having a board.

It really is a personal choice as said above. Our pool happened to have a very large area that is pretty shallow (almost too shallow) but works great for the kids to jump around in and the adults can just kneel and float. But the other end is ~8 feet deep with a board and slide ... during parties, the kids are constantly lined up to jump off the board or go down the slide. If this pool was built today (I think it is from the 70s), I do not think either the slide or board would be allowed due to the pool shape and depth profile.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

We are not getting a board given all the liability issues, but a slide may be something to look at! I think it is cool when a net is put across a pool, but if one side is 3ft and the other is 6-8ft, I think it would be difficult to play any team sports. Just trying to think through all the possible uses before proceeding.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm kind of curious on how they'll get the shell inside the building. Or hasn't it been built yet?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool to go in first and then footings and building afterwards.