Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air leak questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Air leak questions...

Hi all!

This has been happening since my pool was new(July 2008). Air bubbles coming from the returns. The kicker is that it's intermittent, about 10 minutes of bubbles then 10 minutes of no bubbles. My builder hasn't found the problem, although they haven't REALLY tried(that's another story, lol!!).

Any initial thoughts? Questions for me?

Thanks!!!

Rob
    25000 Gals, Intellichlor IC40 SWG , Intelliflo 4X160, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Easy Touch 8, Polaris 280

My adventure: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air leak questions...

Any air in the pump basket? If so it is a suction side air leak.

Do you have a SWG? If so, it will produce very tiny air bubbles when operating.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I can see a few very small bubbles in the basket, but not many at all. I do have a SWG, but I can't imagine the amount of bubbles I'm seeing come from that, but maybe they do. That would make sense with the cell turning on and off. I could try turning it off for a good amount of time and see if they stop. I'll check on that.

I was thinking, if it seems possible, that a small air leak was was accumulating somewhere, then I see bubbles, then they would stop until it builds up again somewhere in the system(like the filter, or something).

I don't know! lol
    25000 Gals, Intellichlor IC40 SWG , Intelliflo 4X160, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Easy Touch 8, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so it seems like it is the SWG causing the bubbles! Thanks for the solution Mark!

So I guess I need to research how much bubbleage is normal for an Aqua Pure 1400.

Mods can move this thread if you think it should.

Rob

5. Back To Top    #5

Rob, I just gotta say I love the 'handle' and the split skull avitar 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Ted! LOL!