Lap Pool Renovation with Aquabright

Amy, didn't you say you need a hand rail for your pool steps? I saw something different on Pinterest. They have a lot of non-standard hand rails for pool steps.

UPDATE: scratch this.... it's about $2,300! That's crazy!

Amy, didn't you say you need a hand rail for your pool steps? I saw something different on Pinterest. They have a lot of non-standard hand rails for pool steps.

UPDATE: scratch this.... it's about $2,300! That's crazy!

That makes me WANT a handrail! CUTE!

Kim:kim:

That thing would scare me to death every time I saw it! [emoji33]

Birds are ok. From a distance. In trees or on lakes. I'm still scarred from watching Hitchcock as a child ...

Suz and Kim - at first I tried to think of an object I could balance on like a big concrete orb. (Still not yet ruled out). But what if I accidentally rolled it into the pool?
9c8f50501e1f10c975ba7d2dbab2cb20-1.jpg

Then it was suggested I should stay with the "tried and true," such as a single rail like one of the three below. Double wouldn't look right and yet single seems odd to me too.

81c2da6a2cb43e9ec8f7b2a66dc10a2d-1.jpg

Then I saw this on Pinterest which is too large and crazy for our little pool:

c8e078bf335b1a2a003cfda9d83c6da6-1.jpg

Then I ran across these:

88bebf83f7718eeb31f7088b7274b7a8-1.jpg

Both of which reminded me of the original railings on one my all-time-favorite pools in Jamaica (don't you LOVE how they kept the original diving board and turned it into a fountain??):

cc2f40bc0542eb02c22b8fd42e7b6e06-1.jpg
7c4a0b4994c375888e4500f3000014fd-1.jpg

Now I'm thinking ..... what about one complete circle that's mounted to the deck (with two pipes/tubes and not one as shown on the pool rail above) and now that I'm typing this ... and this might be a bit TOO cute ... have three progressively smaller circles joined. Like bubbles. Because I'm sick , loopy and delirious today with a bad sinus thing?? Will post again with a marked-up photo. Ha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Difficult to draw on this phone - but maybe .....

0376b29dc6d1d071b347adb0ae89e251-1.jpg
e7ee831d18411428c319a94f9fca3458-1.jpg

Or a pair of big concrete orbs on either side?

e4c7197df684fb172a6b49fe602b6162-1.jpg

Does anyone else have handrails anymore?? Doesn't anyone use them? Need them??

I LOVE the direction you are going! Those circle ones (the darker ones) are awesome! This will be fun to play with and figure out!

I have a couple of ideas but it is getting late so will sleep on it and see what happens!

Hi AmyJo,

That circle design is very clever. Artistic yet functional. If you could get someone to design and install something like that for you, it would be pretty awesome. I will not have handrails, so I cannot comment on using them. Of course we all think we are immortal, and will never age...but the reality is a handrail will one day come in handy (no pun intended). So think about if you will need it as long as you own the property. If you don't think you need it now, and will not be there when you might need it, then I would forgo installing one. Just my 2-cents...In these days, 2-cents doesn't buy you anything. :p

I saw those on Pinterest, too, so you probably saw this one. It's sold along with the old standard rails you posted up above. It's a little updated version of the old standard ones.

I had another idea, but I couldn't find the right pictures on your thread to see if there's enough room by your steps. My steps are between my raised spa and sun shelf. Until this summer, I held onto the edges of those when using my steps - more for balance than anything. So I wonder - If you had a thin stepped wall built on the deck next to the steps. I can't draw on a computer (or phone), but the wall would mimic the steps, so as you went up or down, you would have the correct height to hold onto. It wouldn't have to be very high. You might not need many 'steps' to the wall. The best thing would be for you to determine the number and heights of the wall steps as you are actually going up or down the steps. You could use boxes for a mock step wall.

I LOVE the direction you are going! Those circle ones (the darker ones) are awesome! This will be fun to play with and figure out!

I have a couple of ideas but it is getting late so will sleep on it and see what happens!

Hi Kim - thanks! I look forward to your ideas. Have a good night!

Hi AmyJo,

That circle design is very clever. Artistic yet functional. If you could get someone to design and install something like that for you, it would be pretty awesome. I will not have handrails, so I cannot comment on using them. Of course we all think we are immortal, and will never age...but the reality is a handrail will one day come in handy (no pun intended). So think about if you will need it as long as you own the property. If you don't think you need it now, and will not be there when you might need it, then I would forgo installing one. Just my 2-cents...In these days, 2-cents doesn't buy you anything. :p

Hi Tony - thank you! I have a metalworker who can make anything, so that part is covered. However, the only thing feeling "right" to me are the large concrete orbs. Due to my knee (sometimes unsteady), I do need a way to steady myself when making the final step out of the pool. It's hard to explain. I guess touching something - not holding *on* to something - gives me a bit of security. Trust me, NONE of us are immortal. We all will eventually need something. Who knew I would ever hurt my knee?

I saw those on Pinterest, too, so you probably saw this one. It's sold along with the old standard rails you posted up above. It's a little updated version of the old standard ones.

I had another idea, but I couldn't find the right pictures on your thread to see if there's enough room by your steps. My steps are between my raised spa and sun shelf. Until this summer, I held onto the edges of those when using my steps - more for balance than anything. So I wonder - If you had a thin stepped wall built on the deck next to the steps. I can't draw on a computer (or phone), but the wall would mimic the steps, so as you went up or down, you would have the correct height to hold onto. It wouldn't have to be very high. You might not need many 'steps' to the wall. The best thing would be for you to determine the number and heights of the wall steps as you are actually going up or down the steps. You could use boxes for a mock step wall.

Thank you for all your research Suz! I have seen rails like that. For some reason it doesn't seem quite right. Hard to explain. Our house is very modern - built in 2001, but has a mid-century feel. (The architect/former owner's dad was one of the architects/creators of the "Florida Modern" style and this house was an homage to him and his work). A good part of this is that I really don't WANT a handrail at all. I love the clean geometry of the pool with the house - and even my unpopular concrete deck and crazy new glass tile blend. [emoji4]

I feel like I only need something to help me balance after the last step out of the water. I am so terrified of falling, so anything I can touch to steady myself (if I need it) will be helpful. After the new step is in I am going to see how it feels, but I'd still like to plan for *something." I really am liking the concrete orb/sphere idea! What do you think??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.