Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ten Year Pool Veteran...Been Doin It Wrong for Nine of Em!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ten Year Pool Veteran...Been Doin It Wrong for Nine of Em!

The two happiest days of a pool owner's life is the day the pool is finished being installed and the day they fill it in! That has been my philosophy for a while; until this season. This is my tenth season as a pool owner. I learned, about mid-season last year, I've been doing it wrong all these years. I usually have to spend $350 - $500 every season I 'open' my pool. Granulated chlorine, chlorine tablets, algeacide, super floc, etc.

I've also had to learn everything I knew on my own. The company that installed mine finished up the job, got paid, and left without telling me squat! I didn't even know how to backwash! I've asked about ten different pool supply store owners, over the years, what I need to do when I get started and got ten different answers. I've come to realize they really only want to sell you their over-priced junk!

I started doing more in depth research mid-season last year, learned about water balance and pool chemistry and how they all work. And I discovered this BBB method of pool care and purchased myself a really good test kit (Taylor K-2006). The second half of last season was pretty trouble free and the water hadn't looked/felt that good since I first filled it up! This season, I followed the guidance from this site and it has been the best opening yet! No hassles and I didn't have to vacuum after using the super floc - because I didn't have to use it!

I have told my wife that we will never have another pool if we ever build another house...but now, I might have to re-think that!!
    LeeH
    26,700 gal | IG | Vinyl
    Sand | Hayward - 1 hp
    2007 | Taylor K-2006
    Polaris 360 - 1/2 hp booster | County Water | No Restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ten Year Pool Veteran...Been Doin It Wrong for Nine of Em!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Glad you found us and that we were able to help change your opinion about your pool!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!