Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy, cloudy, CLOUDY!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy, cloudy, CLOUDY!

First post, my test kit is ordered but won't be in till after the weekend. My pool store's tests are pretty consistent with my homes testing, but I can't test combined chlorine with my existing test. Have shocked with dichlor several times since opening and finally have my combined chlorine at a reasonable level. The pool is still cloudy! Here are my latest results (chlorine high because I shocked yesterday):

Pool Store
    ph 7.6
    adj alkalinity 60 (I tested TA 80)
    chlorine 12.1
    total chlorine 12.2
    hardness 173
    CYA 63
    TDS 4200
    metals 1

Metals were .9 when I opened the pool, treated for them and cleaned cartridges. Tested at 0 after treating them. Remaining tests all show metals again.

I've been told phosphates are high and I should treat them. However I've read this site and believe that shouldn't be causing my issue.

I'm not sure if I should resort to a clarifier or floc? I'm at my wits end and don't trust the pool stores.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy, cloudy, CLOUDY!

You won't be able to maintain an ACCURATE level of 24 FC which is SLAM value for your CYA until your test kit arrives. Phosphates are not your problem. Clarifier or floc are a waste of time and money at this point. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know I need to wait for the kit, and it's killing me looking at this cloudy pool. Especially with nice weekend weather on the way!

4. Back To Top    #4

STOP with the dichlor and use plain liquid bleach. You're on the high side of CYA already.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have SWG, so I believe I am good on CYA. i already bought the liquid chlorine to start the slam. Just waiting on the kit. I do not plan to use dichlor again.
    13k gallon vinyl in-ground SWG with cartridge filter