Sodium DiChlor to raise Cyanuric acid

RDN

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2011
Hi folks, I'm coming off my first winter in the Seattle Area after switching to Bleach last summer. Before that, I used to use the Skimmer Sticks from the local Pool Store.

CYA was thru the roof a year ago. After a bunch of dilution and a SLAM, the pool is beautiful.

My situation now is the CYA is low - probably below 20. I ran sticks over the winter that I had left to keep the CYA from falling too much (We have had 47 inches of rain since October 1st 2016, so LOTS of lowering the pool).

Anyways, I have like 20 or more pounds of Leslie's Chlor-Brite left from when I used in the pool, and of course it has CYA in it.

Anyone know how much CYA per pound of stabilized Sodium DiChlor? Or is there another way to calculate it?

I also have a couple of pounds of HTH brand CYA in powdered form the local Ace Hardware gave me, if that is a better way to go. Instructions on it say to add it directly to the skimmer...

Kind of ironic I'm having to add CYA, after all the money (in water fees) I spent lowering it :D

Thanks,

Ron

Using Pool Math, down at the bottom you'll see "Effects of adding chemicals". Plugged in 21K gallon pool, and 16 oz of dichlor nets 3.2 PPM of FC, and 2.9 PPM of CYA.

BTW -- Even though I have a SWG, I use trichlor tabs (sparingly) as a supplemental chlorination when I don't want to run the pump much (i.e. winter time) and also as a supplemental CYA addition to ward off the oxidation of CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.